[GPSCC-chat] Opposition to the party becoming professional.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Fri Apr 29 09:25:24 PDT 2011

When I read Spencer's notes from last night's meeting, I was a bit
surprised that there was so much opposition to the idea of a paid
staff.  In particular, I noted the comment that Cameron was opposed to
the idea because " the hired staff component had a substantive negative
impact on the party. "

Personally, I feel that the lack of a full time staff is one of the most
important reasons that the party's numbers have stagnated, are in
decline and that we are basically ignored by media.

Here is what I posted on the subject at California Greening
<http://cagreening.blogspot.com/> this week.  If you got to that site,
you will find this supported (in comments) by Alex Walker.

      GPCA poised for gains... or not

The General Assembly of the Green Party of California takes place this
weekend. For those who will attend, there are a few things I hope you
consider while deciding the next steps we will take.

Never before has money played such a key role in politics. Greens have
been taking steps to counteract the effect of the Citizen's United
decision. However, it does not appear that any great gains have been
made on that front, even with key people spending a significant amount
of time in the Move to Amend <http://movetoamend.org/> effort.

While washing dishes last night, I listened to the Rachel Maddow show.
She was making a very important point regarding the now nearly infamous
Paul Ryan budget that passed the House. Republican Congress Critters,
including Wisconsin's Ryan, are not being warmly received while back in
their districts over the Easter Recess. In fact, they are being
confronted with almost as much rancor as was directed at the Obama
Health Care plan last summer. Her key point is that, while Progressive
organizations have contracted for $106,000 in media buys now, just 4
organizations with ties Corporate Cash, have put up over $2 Mil to
support Ryan's budget... the one that would, among other things, end
Medicare as we know it.

I introduce this point about money in order to underscore just how
uneven the playing filed is. The GPCA has not been so successful raising
money. We managed to have a mini-fundraising drive that netted $7,000
just before the General Assembly.

So, what are we going to do if we can't compete on money. Greens back a
set of policies that make a lot more sense than those embodied in the
Ryan Budget,but who knows what they are.

In a speech given at Occidental College
<http://departments.oxy.edu/orsl/pdfs/MoyersSpeechOccidentalCollege.pdf>
of few years back, Bill Moyers made the statement that "The only answer
for organized money is organized people." In fact, this was important
enough that he repeated it several time: "The *only* answer..." and then
"is *organized* people."

It is clear to some that the wheels are coming off the American version
of Capitalism. Even Alan Greenspan acknowledged that he did not truly
understand just that organizations, like banks and insurance companies,
do not act in their *own* long term best interest, but are tilling to
take excessive risks in order to get immediate profit for the executives
of these companies. Greenspan was a devotee of Ayn Rand, the same Ayn
Rand whose selfish version of living in the world inspires many
Republican leaders today.

It is a given that we don't have the money top play the corporate media
game. I note the number of people who actually participate in our social
media, and it does not yet add up.

If we are to take the next step, and the world needs us to do so, then I
think we need to consider just how we can accomplish it. Look around the
General Assembly. How many students do you see? If these are the future
of the Party, what are we doing to build that future? If we can't answer
the question of how many Campus Green chapters exist and who those
leader are, it does not speak well for our future.

Maybe it does come back to money, and how we choose to spend what
resources we have. We need, at a minimum&hellip' and need to keep it to
a minimum... to have full time fundraising that is not dependent on
another full time job to live on.

We need to be able to more nimble in how we deal with the media. It is
not just that smart cell phones, Android aps and social media have
expanded the range of possibilities, they have fundamentally changed the
expectation of just how quickly a political organization can respond.
This is one more aspect of being a political party that needs full time
attention and, once more, there is a need to professionalize it so that
no one has to give up making a living in order to do that work.

The real question for this General Assembly is whether we are going to
be a player in the political arena, or will we just play at it.