[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Amendment Name/Feedback

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Dec 8 19:59:53 PST 2011

Hi, John:

       The major corporations will spend millions, perhaps even billions
to try to defeat this, and the commercial media will go after it with a
vengeance.  Even without that, the feeding frenzy unleashed by the
commercial media will be vastly more intense than what stampeded the US
public into Iraq.  There are probably "public relations" business right
now preparing proposals for massive research campaigns using focus
groups, sample surveys, and other methods to try to figure out the
easiest ways to discredit this.  They may even be past the proposal stage.

       If it passes, the major corporations will again spend millions,
perhaps billions, to try to stamped the legislators and judges they
still control carve out the narrowest possible interpretation -- and
even try to get it declared unconstitutional.  The latter likely won't
happen, but you can bet that the commercial media will work hard to
convince the public that this amendment is terrible and will have dire
consequences.

       I'm willing to leave it to David Cobb and his best advisers to
forecast the fallout after it passes, if it does.

On 12/8/2011 7:06 PM, John Thielking wrote:
> Drew,
> This is good information to have.  It makes me think that we need to
> carefully plan how this amendment is going to be implimented if it
> passes. I'm concerned that without a set of laws already on the books
> defining the priveledges of corporations and small businesses we could
> have a dead zone/dark age of a few years duration following passage of
> this amendment where grand juries and judicial fishing expeditions for
> those entities without formal rights would rein supreme. I would
> propose adding to each section of the amendment the following:
> Section 1: New laws and amendments to exisiting laws that are based on
> section 1 of this amendment may be voted on by the legislatures and
> signed into law no earlier than 8 years after this amendment is
> ratified. These laws and the modifications to those laws will have no
> effect until Section 1 of this amendment goes into full force and
> effect. Section 1 of this amendment goes into full force and effect 10
> years after it is ratified.

       Bad idea.  We need honest trust busting right now:  As I said,
major corporations get tax rebates on taxes they don't even pay. The
owners of small businesses, even incorporated ones allegedly subject to
rules of limited liability, must pay taxes that can force them into
bankruptcy as individuals to pay taxes on income their corporations
failed to obtain.  I'm not making this up.

> Section 2: If this amendment is ratified less than 365 days before the
> first primary of the next election for Congress, as defined in the
> schedule of primaries that exists at the time of ratification, Section
> 2 of this amendment will go into full force and effect after the end
> of the next general election for Congress.  Otherwise it will go into
> effect immediately upon ratification.
> Section 3: Section 3 will go into effect immediately upon ratification.
> With this language, I think it might not be necessary to have
> particular goals within the amendment limiting what priviledges can be
> given to corporations.   If free and fair elections are given a 6-8
> year head start, I think that the people will end up electing people
> who will legislate the right types of laws.  What do you think?

       We are unlikely to defeat the current bribery system of campaign
finance until a critical mass of the electorate turns off all the
commercial media.

        Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD