[GPSCC-chat] SOPA and PROTECT IP

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 18:09:06 PST 2011

Sigh.  I can see that we will continue to be at loggerheads over this issue of what is a paper entity and when does it lose all of its rights under this Move To Amend amendment. For instance, I don't plan on keeping www.peacemovies.com as a one man operation forever. Eventually I may have dvd dispensing kiosks in shopping malls that will be serviced by employees and I will likely have partnerships either with volunteers or employees/paid partners running a retail dvd rental outfit and/or partnerships with people who produce their own content. I may at some point dump Hollywood entirely and go with content from web sites such as  http://www.awkwardblackgirl.com/episodes for my movies to review and rent/sell. That tiny little web site gets 60,000 views per week, believe it or not.  Another example is that I used to work for Dacara, Inc, which is a mini corporation that runs two Foster's Freeze stores, one in Santa Cruz and one in Salinas. They helped
 put me through college, so I'm not about to screw them over. If that attitude counts as "revolving door politics", then so be it. People form artificial entities for all sorts of reasons and in all shapes and sizes. I don't think that a reasonable court would hold that complete loss of personhood only applies to mega corps under this amendment.  I should probably study up on what laws currently exist in the US that enhance the EQUAL rights of artificial entities and see if those laws would still be just as valid if this amendment passes. Equal rights, at least between artificial entities, if not between artificial entities and real people, is the main defense that we can use to keep a level playing field between the big fish and the little fish. If we try to pass laws or principles that tilt the playing field one way or the other in an unfair way, we will likely wake up one day and find those laws and principles used to drive the little fish out of
 business.  Any ideas about laws that currently exist Drew, since you seem to be well informed on this sub-topic?

John Thielking