[GPSCC-chat] SOPA and PROTECT IP and What Is A Nexus Of Contracts

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Dec 12 08:26:57 PST 2011

On 12/12/2011 7:58 AM, Drew wrote:

> John I have my doubts whether any form of corporation is really
> accountable to anyone. The concept of being accountable to
> shareholders is largely mythology from what I can see. The CEO usually
> stacks the Board, and together they do whatever they please or believe
> is in service of profits

       No:  They do whatever they perceive serves their best short term
interests, though maximizing profits is a common mantra.  Given the
choice of an action that will make the company boom in the short term
but has a 10% chance of bankrupting the company and a more conservative
strategy that will likely provide lower but reasonable profits for the
long term, they will generally select the more risky strategy, because
they most likely look like heroes in the short term and can leave with
their golden parachutes if that fails.

> (with no damn given for people or profits). Shareholders rarely are
> effective in altering the course.

       Correct.

       Spencer

--