[GPSCC-chat] #SOPA?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Dec 19 23:27:36 PST 2011

Hello, All:

       Owen in Occupy San Jose is organizing a protest against the "Stop
Online Piracy Act" (SOPA), which is currently scheduled for a vote this
Wednesday, Dec. 21.  For ignoramuses such as myself, I will summarize
here my understanding of the current status of this bill (mostly taken
from the Wikipedia article on it);  if anything below seems
inappropriate, please let me know.

WHAT IS SOPA?

             1.  This is a House bill scheduled to come to a vote this
Wednesday, Dec. 21.  The corresponding Senate bill, the Protect IP Act,
passed the Senate Judiciary Committee but is not currently scheduled for
a vote.  As of Dec. 17, there were 31 official sponsors, and 4 known
opponents in the House, including Nancy Polosi, Zoe Lofgren, Darrell
Issa, and Ron Paul.

             2.  "The bill would authorize the U.S. Department of
Justice to seek court orders against websites outside U.S. jurisdiction
accused of infringing on copyrights... .  After delivering a court
order, the U.S. Attorney-General could require US-directed Internet
service providers, ad networks such as Google and payment processors
such as PayPal or Visa to suspend doing business with sites found to
infringe... .  The Attorney-General could also bar search engines from
displaying links to the sites."

             3.  However, most experts outside the US media industry are
opposed for several reasons.  First, its provisions could so disrupt the
normal functioning of the Internet that it seriously degrades its
utility.  Second, civil libertarians say that it essentially authorizes
prior censorship in ways that could be virtually beyond public
scrutiny.  In theory, the bill gives web site owners unjustly accused of
copyright infringement the right to sue their accusers.  In practice,
it's not realistic to expect that "occupysj.org", for example, could
afford the attorney's fees required to challenge Disney -- especially
since most of the media industry supports Disney's position and would
happily see "occupysj.org" destroyed if they could do so without a large
public outcry.

CALL TO ACTION:

             1.  Write (and perhaps call) your representative in the US
House.  If that's Lofgren, thank her for her strong opposition to this
in order to reinforce her resolve to sustain her position and to give
her ammunition in talking with other representatives.  For others, ask
their position and express your opposition.  If you haven't done this
before, go to "www.house.gov" and enter your zip code.  This will
identify your representative and provide a link to how to communicate to
him / her.

             2.  Write your friends and acquaintances to tell them what
you did and encourage them to do likewise.

            3.  While you are at it, I encourage you to also write your
Senators.  Boxer is fourth highest recipient of money from the
organizations pushing for this legislation:  $544,424 (according to
"www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/money
<http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/money>") and include those
when you write others.

       The following are what I'm writing.

       Spencer

Representative Zoe Lofgren:  Dear Representative Lofgren:  I wish to
thank you for your strong opposition to the "Stop Online Piracy Act".  I
oppose it because (a) I'm convinced it presents serious technical
problems as discussed by many technical experts, (b) authorize prior
censorship in ways that are easily concealed in part because the media
have a conflict of interest that would push them to avoid reporting on
any such events when they could do so without substantive loss of
audience, and (c) it's one more example of corporate welfare and bribery
at work in the halls of congress.  Thanks, Spencer Graves

Senator Barbara Boxer:  Subject:  Protect IP Act
Dear Senator Boxer:  What is your position on the Protect IP Act?  From
what I've read, it is (a) one more example of corporate welfare and
bribery at work in congress that would (b) presents serious technical
problems as discussed by many technical experts and (c) authorize prior
censorship in ways that are easily concealed in part because the media
have a conflict of interest that would push them to avoid reporting on
any such events when they could do so without substantive loss of
audience.  According to "www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/money
<http://www.opencongress.org/bill/112-s968/money>", you've received
$544,424 in contributions from the industry pushing for this bill.  Are
you planning to vote for the special interests and against the
constitution or for the general welfare of the public?  Sincerely,
Spencer Graves

Senator Diane Feinstain:  General Topic:  Civil Liberties.
Dear Senator Feinstein:  What is your position on the Protect IP Act?
 From what I've read, it is (a) one more example of corporate welfare
and bribery at work in congress that would (b) presents serious
technical problems as discussed by many technical experts and (c)
authorize prior censorship in ways that are easily concealed in part
because the media have a conflict of interest that would push them to
avoid reporting on any such events when they could do so without
substantive loss of audience.  Sincerely, Spencer Graves

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer