[GPSCC-chat] Water use

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Tue Jan 11 19:43:35 PST 2011

There are many things that seem so stupid when you decide to stop doing
things BAU.  Take, for example, the whole idea of not using up all the
water we can.  You know, saving water seems to be a good idea.  We just
had a multi-year drought, but this year has started off fairly well.
Still, saving water need to be a way of life... right?

The following is from the budget packet for Thursday's meeting of the
Board of Directors, Santa Clara Valley Water District.
> *Lower water usage has put financial pressure on the current budget
> year* as well as the projected groundwater production charges. Staff
> is anticipating a $10M revenue shortfall in the current budget year,
> FY 2010-11. Staff has identified potential current year operations
> cost savings totaling $6M to partially offset the anticipated revenue
> shortfall and prevent the debt service coverage ratio from falling
> below the minimum per bond covenant. FY 2011-12 water usage is assumed
> to be relatively flat to FY 2009-10 actual and FY 2010-11 estimated
> actual.

My suggestion to this is to stop paying a lobbyist to represent the
district in Sacramento.