[GPSCC-chat] Minutes of GPSCC General Meeting on July 28, 2011

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Thu Jul 28 22:24:20 PDT 2011

Please send any additions, corrections to this list.  Thanks.

On 7/27/2011 7:58 PM, Valerie D. Face wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Here are the agenda items I've seen on this list.  This is what I'm bringing to the meeting, but if you have additional items, by all means post them here and/or bring them to the meeting.  We will revise the agenda at the start of the meeting.
>
> Caroline, I've added a note about moving the Regional Picnic up in the agenda because I think that the decision about where to put it should be made by the group at the meeting.
>

> === Draft Agenda for GPSCC General Meeting on July 28, 2011 ===
>
> Location:  San Jose Peace&  Justice Center, 48 S 7th St, San Jose
>
> 7:00 PM  Social time: practice one-minute speeches, eat, chat, etc.
>
> 7:30 PM  Begin meeting
>
> *  Choose facilitator, note taker, timekeeper, vibes watcher, August agenda preparer
>         2 min

       Facilitator:  Jim Doyle.

       Notetaker:  Spencer

       Merriam:  timekeeper

       Vibes watcher:  Valerie

       Agenda preparer for next month:  Caroline.

> *  Introductions and short announcements
>         10 min

Caroline Yacoub, takes care of "the stuff", & hosts a Global Warming
discussion on Sunday evenings.  Caroline is in the phone book.  next
sunday at 5;  not the following sunday.

Aug. 13:  Picnic in SVLE:

Merriam Kathaleen:

Spencer Graves

Drew Johnson:  Kent Mesplay (kentmesdplay.org) for president.
Cynthia McKinney may run for her old seat for congress in Georgia.
No Nukes Aug. 7;
*** Aug. 9 CA Summit for No Nukes in San Mateo:  Need a high level Green
for that summit.

Warner Blumberg:  Campaigns and Candidates working group:  now meets
(telephone) the night before this meeting.  They want to know about
anyone who might want to run for any office next year ... .

Diane Solomon:  San Jose Moving Planet Bike Party on Sat. 11 AM - 2:30
PM, Sept. 24, 350.org;  KKUP's web site or MovingPlanet.org
5 PM Sunday, 91.5 FM.

Joe Hodgkinson, Mountain View:  Wants to learn about Greens.

Gerry Grass,

Dana St. George

Gerry proposed we endorse Diane Solomon's bike party.  Approved.

> *  Revise and affirm agenda
>         4 min
>
> *  Treasurer's report, pass the hat:  Current:  $3,059.
>         4 min, Jim Doyle
>
> *  Proposal for GPSCC to support the Carbon-Free Palo Alto Initiative
>         10 min, Gerry Gras

       2015:  Carbon-Free electricity by 2015.  PA is not dependent on
Current:  70%,  plan:  85% by 2015;  initiative:  100% carbon free from
the Palo Alto city utility.  (Hydro is not considered renewable but is
carbon free.)  Project of Cool Cities, project of Sierra Club.

       They estimate it will costs an estimated additional $2 per month
per customer -- still less that PG&E.

       Proposed:  The Greens endorse it, but we express concern that we
don't want them to use more hydro because of more problems for the fish.

> *  Report on the Coalition for a Downtown Hospital
>         5 min, Jim Doyle

       Budget cuts have withdrawn the funds for the Downtown hospital
but is building a clinic.  Gardner Family Health Network was to run it
using funds from the Feds and the State, both of which have been cut.

> *  November Elections - UDEL
>         5 min, Jim Doyle

       Unencorporated District ELections (fire districts, water
districts, ... filing deadline 1st or 2nd week of August, some Cities,
Sunnyvale).

       Palo Alto may have an anerobic digester on the ballot in November.

> *  Ethics and Climate Change discussion
>         10 min, Gerry Gras

       390 ppm carbon in the atmosphere currently, and climbing.  350 is
the target.  Wikipedia has a section on climate ethics.

> *  Grow the Change: registering and engaging new Greens
>         15 min, Merriam Kathaleen and Caroline Yacoub

       Proposal:  schedule and event (e.g., State Bank with Laura
Wells), late Sept / earl Oct.:  Then people go door to door or to
Farmers' Markets to disseminate the news, try to register new Greens &
invite people to the event.  Caroline and Merriam plan to go door to
door, etc., and would like others to help.  Warner:  We could try to
contact others on the list of registered Greens to give them other
opportunities to do something.

       Jim Doyle:  There is something regarding a state bank on the
California legislative calendar.  Someone could check on this.

       Like to get it translated into other languages, e.g., Japanese,
Chinese, Vietnamese, Spanish ...

> *  Feedback from Greens who attended the most recent MoveOn meetings (July 15-17)
>         10 min, Spencer Graves

       Warner is concerned that

> *  Discussion of what GPSCC might want to do as a result of recent MoveOn meetings
>         10 min, Spencer Graves
>
> *  A couple of things that came up at the Healthcare for All meeting
>         5 min, Caroline Yacoub

       Pablo Guinness (?) has a desire to get information out to people
who speak other languages.

       Freetranslations.org, Babelfish, Google Translations mediocre
automatic translations.  It is unwise to use a translation program
without proofread:  Get a human fluent in the target language to confirm
/ correct the computer translation.

       SBA 10:  for health care for all.

> *  Regional Picnic (NOTE: Move this to an EARLIER spot in the agenda with consensus.)
>         10 min, Caroline Yacoub

       Saturday, August 13.  Murphy Park, Sunnyvale, CA, not far from
train & bus stations.  Picnic:  11 AM - 5 PM?  Pot Luck.

       Caroline will be in Tahoe Saturday AM.  Merriam has Movie Night
the night before.  Neither are available to prepare.

       We must reimburse Caroline $40 for reserving the park.  Estimate
40 people;  we probably will NOT get this many, because we don't have .

       Joe will help organize the food.  He is in Mt. View.  He may or
may not come.

       Who will buy drinks and food?

       Drew will take charge of making necessary arrangements besides food.

       Drew will draft an announcement and send info to Spencer and
Warner for posting on web sites.

Movie Night:

       August 12.  1:30 Hiroshima, No ________  + a second movie /
double feature.

Endorsement for Sept. 1 and 10 for South Bay Committee against Political
Repression for Carlos M.

       Could use more volunteers to bring food, etc.

       * South Bay Committee against Political Repression:  part of the
National Coalition against FBI repression.  Event Thursday, Sept. 1:
Carlos Montez is being prosecuted in LA.  Speaking at SJSU during the
day.  Coming to the Peace Center for a pot luck and fund raiser for his
legal fees.

stopfbi.org;  fund raiser for his legal fees.

Sept. 10:  Another fundraiser here at the Peace Center.

       Merriam is asks us to cosponsor these events, requesting $100 or
$150:

       It was agreed that we cosponsor both events.

       Merriam proposes we donate $100;  Warner suggests we donate $50.
Re. $100:  failed but $50 passed.  (6 for, 2 against, 0 abstentions:
needed 2/3;  got 3/4.)

       Jim Doyle suggests it costs $2,000 to mail many (not all?) of the
local registered Greens.  We contributed $100 a few months ago for the
Michael Parenti event.

       Warner proposes we cosponsor both events and donate $50 to the
food budget for the second event.

TOTAL TIME: 100 minutes (1 hour, 40 minutes) Respectfully, Valerie Face
Mom Looks 27! Mom Reveals $5 Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e30d082d727f254e2cst04vuc
list sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org