[GPSCC-chat] Warner's Picks re GPCA CC At Large Candidates Election

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Tue Jun 21 15:20:46 PDT 2011

Folks!  The "county polling" style election for At Large  GPCA Coordinating
Committee candidates ends June 30, 2011.  Below are some  comments for
consideration before our GPSCC meeting Thursday evening June  23rd.

A restructuring experiment for the CC was approved over two  Plenaries.  It
changes the CC from 12 Regional Reps and 4 At Large CC  members to 12
Regional Reps and 12 At Large seats.  In the current  election, there are 3
candidates for one year terms and 5 candidates for two  year terms (total of 8
candidates).  The idea behind the restructuring  experiment (as I understand
it) was to encourage new energies and individuals to  take on CC
responsibilities.
At Large CC members are expected to be involved in County GP  support.  CC
members, in general, are supposed to serve on CC committees  and/or serve as
CoCoordinators to state standing committees or be liaisons to  working
groups.

After reading through the candidate self-descriptions about  backgrounds
and intentions I find myself, with two exceptions,  underwhelmed...  Laura
Sinott, from Mendocino County seems to have strong  administrative experience;
Sanda Everette I know from four years on the GPUS  Delegation.  Sanda was a
member of the GPUS Steering Committee (the  national party CC parallel body)
which, as near as could tell, was more  dysfunctional, but also more
productive, than the GPCA CC.

None of the other candidates express any clear goals for their
participation in the CC.   None of these  other candidates describe any participation
on any GPCA standing committees or  working groups.  Joseph Feller was
previously on the CC, but he fails to  describe any committee work or SC/WG
participation by him during that  period.

If the GPSCC decides that it wants to vote in this election, I  recommend
that we cast our four votes as follows:  One Year Terms:   NOC ranked 1 (no
other rankings).  Two Year Terms:  Laura Sinott --  Rank 1; Sanda Everette --
Rank 2; and NOC -- Rank 3.

BUT....  I also think we should discuss not casting any  vote.  At last
night's CC meeting, Jim Stauffer, as an Elections Committee  member, reported
that quorum was one half of 32 counties reporting -- and that  was before
Nevada County was added to the list.  Jim also reported that  only 8 County GPs
had reported a ballot reporter.

Given that we will be using Single Transferable Vote balloting  and that
there are fewer candidates than seats available, it is highly likely  (IMO)
that all candidates will be elected if quorum is met.  In addition to
bringing indiciduals who probably do not understand the responsibilities they  are
undertaking, that election will create a bloc of three CC members from
Alameda County plus an additional member from El Cerrito.  Under these
circumstances, it may be preferable to delay expansion of the current number of  CC
members and try to recruit (or hope for) better qualified candidates in a
later election (which would be needed anyhow to fill vacant positions).
Additionally, given the aggregious misconduct of the CC collectively in
creating  and approving the "Marnie contract", withholding GPSCC voting on CC
elections is  the only possible protest action currently available.

Notwithstanding my support for Laura and Sanda to be CC  members, I am
inclined to propose a vote boycott.  Even if that is agreed  at our meeting, it
is still possible quorum will be made for the current  election.

Warner