[GPSCC-chat] Provident CU

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Wed Mar 16 19:29:30 PDT 2011

Hello, All:

	  Just an update:  The woman at Provident Credit Union who took our
application explained how it works:  If I understand correctly, various
companies operating under an umbrella like Visa offer debit card
services, and charge the merchants a few percent of each use.  Provident
found one of these debit card clearinghouses that would give them a
portion of what they get, and they offer that as an incentive for people
to bank there AND use their debit card.  Thus, they make more money if
we use a debit card rather than a credit card or a check, and they pass
some of those savings on to us.

	  Spencer

Hi, Jim:

       Thanks.

       It just seemed strange, as they were the only financial
institution I found offering anything close to that.  Others might have
something similar, but I checked all the credit unions on the "No Credit
Card Debt" brochure we produced plus Wells Fargo.  If any of them offer
more than 0.25% interest, I couldn't find it.

       Spencer