[GPSCC-chat] Get involved in local government! I did! Appointed to S'vale Heritage Preservation Commission

jamboi jamboi at greens.org
Thu May 26 08:54:47 PDT 2011

The Sunnyvale City Council appointed me to the Heritage Preservation
Commission for a term until 2015.  This is a follow-on to the work I did
as City Council appointee to the Sunnyvale Housing and Human Services
Commission in 2007-2008.

I highly recommend everyone reading this seriously consider applying to a
city or county commission or board (in whichever city your in).   In
Sunnyvale (and other cities are similar) here are some very interesting
subject areas including Pedestrian and Biking , Sustainability, Parks and
Recreation, Planning, Library Trustees, Personnel, (and in some cities
there is a police oversight commission) and others.  Several of the cities
have training programs to educate people about how to participate in civic
affairs.  Neighborhood associations and are also very worthwhile of your
participation.

All these are great for providing you with real world experience in local
politics and offers you a chance to directly contribute to your community.
It can be extremely enlightening as to just how the 'sausage is made' so
to speak. Sometimes it can be a bit shocking how petty and possibly
corrupt local politics can be, but there really is no substitute for the
background and preparation for running for higher office or simply to be
educated and effective in lobbying for Green change.

Green is Go!