[GPSCC-chat] number of protesters arrested

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun May 29 10:44:23 PDT 2011

       Masao Suzuki, who teaches economics at Skyline College, was
visited by the FBI wanting information pursuant to subpoenas for a grand
jury investigation in Chicago regarding peaceful assemblies at the
Republican National Convention in 2008
(http://apexexpress.wordpress.com/2011/02/11/2102011-yukimi-nagano-of-little-dragon-protest-to-free-human-rights-activist-binayak-sen-and-professor-masao-suzuki).
Masao is helping organize "The Committee to Stop FBI Repression" to
fight this (www.stopfbi.net).

       Part of the legal justification of this uses the Patriot Act and
the Effective Death Penalty and Antiterrorism Act, both of which have
been interpreted as overriding the bill of rights.  I don't understand
how a mere act of congress, passed by simple majorities in the house and
senate and signed by the President can override constitutional
amendments passed by at least 3/4 of the original 12 states and endorsed
by every state that joined since.  However, we don't really believe in
the rights of the minority unless they limit themselves to activities
the majority thinks is OK for them.

       In brief, I'm concerned that we are in a new McCarthy era, driven
by fear of mice.  (Al Qaeda and other non-state terrorist organizations
are not major powers capable of threatening the internal security of the
US.  They are mice.)

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer