[GPSCC-chat] Move to Amend

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Oct 14 13:53:14 PDT 2011

Hello:

       I think we need two constitutional amendments.

             1.  "A corporation is  not a person."

             2.  "Money is not speech."

       If me combine these with each other or with anything else, we
will make it easier for the powerful to defeat them.  I'm not an
attorney, but I think constitutional amendments with this verbiage will
dramatically overturn the Supreme Court's Citizen's United decision in a
way that will allow congress to pass effective campaign finance
legislation.  They still won't do it unless the public demands it, but
that's another issue.  I think term limits are a bad idea, because they
deprive an electoral body of legislative memory, thereby giving more
power to lobbyists -- the opposite of what we need.

       Spencer

On 10/14/2011 1:24 PM, Caroline Yacoub wrote:

>             *Subject: New amendment*
>
>             *I have totally cleaned this e-mail from all other names,
>             sending it to you in hopes you will keep it going and keep
>             it clean. This is something I will fight for and I _hope
>             you all read it all the way_ _through._ You will be glad
>             you did. *
>
>             *The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18
>             year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified!
>             Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 ...
>             before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc. *
>             *
>             **Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took
>             1 year or less to become the law of the land ...*
>
>             *all because of public pressure. *
>
>             *I'm asking each addressee to forward this email to a
>             minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn
>             ask each of those to do likewise. *
>             *
>             *

<snip>