[GPSCC-chat] Occupy San Jose City Council Meetings Tuesdays, 1:30 & Thursdays, 7 PM

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Tue Oct 25 03:03:40 PDT 2011

Hello, All:

	  I've estimated that I can read roughly 2 words per second without
rushing, provided I prepare and rehearse.  I just timed myself twice
reading the following 107 words in 50 seconds:

		    *** From 1947 to 1970, the US averaged 2.2 percent per year growth
in average annual income, broadly shared.  Since then, we've averaged
1.8 percent annual growth, while giving most of the benefits of that
growth to the wealthy and manufacturing armies of homeless, unemployed
and imprisoned unprecedented since the 1930s.  The US today produces
double the goods and services per person as we did in 1970 and four
times what we did in 1940.  People who say that we cannot afford to
provide quality education for the poor and free college for the
unemployed are saying we want lower economic growth and greater inequity
in our society.

	  This is too big for a Tweet but fine to be read during an Open Forum
at a City Council meeting.  Betsy and I may not make the City Council
meeting today, but I plan to take this to the Occupy SJ General Assembly
in the evening.  I think it would be great to have several different
people read something like this for the Open Forum during every SJ City
Council meeting.

	  The following is another, shorter commentary with less information
but a sharper bite:

		    *** In 1932, the “Bonus Army” of unemployed World War I veterans
peaceably assembled in what they called a Hooverville outside
Washington, DC, requesting government assistance.  President Hoover
first sent the Washington police, who killed a couple of them.  Then he
sent the US Army under General Douglas MacArthur with Major George
Patton using his tanks to flatten their shantytown, sending many to the
hospital with serious injuries.  Incumbent politicians were rewarded for
their callous insensitivity with a massive defeat in the 1932 elections.

84 words

	  Comments?

	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer

##################################
       There were more arrests at Occupy San Jose last night.

       If you can find the time, please come to the San Jose City
Council Meeting any Tuesday, 1:30 PM and Thursday, 7 PM;  check the
agenda at "www.sanjoseca.gov/clerk/agenda.asp" to make sure the meeting
is not cancelled.  (It seems to have a full agenda for tomorrow, Oct. 25.)

       Meetings generally include an Open Forum where people who give
their name to the clerk before the meeting "usually" get 2 minutes to
speak on whatever they want.  Occupy City Council tomorrow & Thursday.
The rules say you can bring a sign 2' x 3' but no sticks, etc.

       Betsy and I plan to be there tomorrow at 1:30 but may have to
leave before the meeting is over.

       Spencer Graves

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD