[GPSCC-chat] UK GP leader interview

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Sep 10 09:41:15 PDT 2011

       I don't agree with her first statement, "It was a mistake to make
growth an economic objective", but I accept her subsequent comments:
"Growth is a side issue. The end goal is about prosperity in terms of
greater wellbeing, in terms of greater equality, in terms of having a
cleaner environment, in terms of having more security for your kids in
the future."

       In my judgment, the primary constraints on economic growth in
poorer countries (which she mentioned) is US support for state terror
internationally, which has increased dramatically under the rubric of
the war on terror:  If the US stops supporting the agents of state
terror internationally and works to make the world safe for peaceful
assembly, the poor people of the world will be better able to control
the corruption in their governments that keeps them poor.  (See Chomsky,
2006, Failed States, Owl Books, p. 149 and elsewhere where he cites
Thomas Carothers, "who identifies his stand as neo-Reagonite", who found
a "puzzling consistency -- commonly called "inconsistency" that the US
opposed democracy except when it also supported US international
business interests;  Carothers, 2004, Critical Mission, Carnegie
Endowment for International Peace.)

       I think we can make economic growth a priority in the US in part
by internalizing externalities into the price the consumer sees:  If the
consumer has to pay substantially more for products made by more
polluting technologies, products made by greener technologies will be
more price competitive.  Doing this would use the market mechanism work
to improve the environment (Wikipedia, "Free-market environmentalism").
One example would be adding the cost of the war in Iraq to the price of
gasoline at the pump.

       Spencer