[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Ready for Reality?

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Tue Sep 13 08:48:40 PDT 2011

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: May Boeve - 350.org <organizers at 350.org>
To: Caroline Yacoub <carolineyacoub at att.net>
Sent: Mon, September 12, 2011 12:38:05 PM
Subject: Ready for Reality?

Dear friends,
Have you been noticing the weather getting wilder where you live, and in the
news around the world?
Well, we wanted to share with you an exciting global event from our partners
that will help connect the dots between the wild weather we’re seeing, climate
change, and why it's so important we push the planet beyond fossil fuels.
The event is called 24 Hours of Reality -- it’s happening THIS WEDNESDAY, Sep
14th, and it will be a 24-hour worldwide marathon all about the reality of the
climate crisis. Around the world, from New York City to South Africa to the
Solomon Islands, people will use the power of the Internet to present their
stories of living with climate change, and make clear the connection between
extreme weather and the corporate carbon pollution that's changing our climate.
All the presentations, which will be in multiple languages, and in every single
time zone, will be streamed live at ClimateRealityProject.org.
Check out the video below:

24 Hours of Reality is being spearheaded by Vice President Al Gore, one of the
first champions to explain that 350 is the most important number on the planet.
Many of us within the 350 movement already get the basic science and reality of
climate change -- yet we sometimes struggle with getting our friends to really
grasp the urgency. This event is a great opportunity to help your friends see
why you care so much (plus, you can always pick up a new communication tip or
two).
I'll be calling up my friends to gather around my laptop, with some nearby
snacks -- and you can invite folks too. There are also a bunch of public viewing
events you can check out.
The timing of 24 Hours of Reality couldn't be more perfect -- it's just 10 days
before Moving Planet, the global day of bike rallies and on-the-ground events to
call for climate action. It's that one-two kick of awareness and activism that's
got me really excited.
At the end of many of the Climate Reality Presentations there will be a plug for
joining Moving Planet actions -- so we can all move together from knowledge to
action.
We hope you’ll be watching Wednesday too!
Onwards,
May Boeve, for the 350.org team
PS: This event isn't just an opportunity to strengthen the movement -- it's a
tool to help us grow it. Click here to get the word out on Facebook and Twitter.

________________________________
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis.
Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led
from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers in over 188 countries.
You can join 350.org on Facebook by becoming a fan of our page at
facebook.com/350org and follow us on twitter by visiting twitter.com/350. To
join our list (maybe a friend forwarded you this e-mail) visit
www.350.org/signup. To support our work, donate securely online at
350.org/donate.

What is 350? 350 is the number that leading scientists say is the safe upper
limit for carbon dioxide in our atmosphere. Scientists measure carbon dioxide in
"parts per million" (ppm), so 350ppm is the number humanity needs to get below
as soon as possible to avoid runaway climate change. To get there, we need a
different kind of PPM–a "people powered movement" that is made of people like
you in every corner of the planet.