[GPSCC-chat] Food costs keep climbing. Time to think Greens

Andrea Dorey andi at wrytor.com
Sat Sep 17 17:31:28 PDT 2011

Wes, one of the costs is that we no longer experience the thrill you felt with a mandarin orange.  In my case, it was any orange in the toe of my Xmas stocking. That's a real loss of the feeling of being alive.

I rarely buy things out of season because I am a family farmer and I know when most things are available.  It's a delight for me when my apricots are ripe, and watermelon, and apples, and walnuts!  I wait with anticipation for those wonderful flavors.  The rest of the year, if I haven't frozen or stored away, I do without those things.

I foresee a time when people are going to have something like a "victory garden"—when they will grow things they can have without needing a ration ticket!
Andrea

On Mar 4, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Wes Rolley wrote:

<clip>
....It is no longer like the days when I was a student when we ate whatever was available locally and a mandarin orange was a Christmas stocking treat.
<clip>

> It is a privilege to be able to eat peaches in February and kiwi in July. We just need to acknowledge that there is a cost for that privilege and that cost will continue to rise. We are using more fossil fuel energy every year and finding less new energy reserves. That can not be good for reducing costs.

<clip>