[GPSCC-chat] Draft Agenda for Thursday April 26 GPSCC Meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Apr 25 17:52:21 PDT 2012

One more proposed agenda item:

       * Might the Santa Clara Greens be interested in supporting an
initiative regarding foreclosures?

BACKGROUND:

       Various groups have been fighting foreclosures with limited
success so far.  I've been working with Occupy San José (OSJ) and the
Association of Californians for Community Empowerment (ACCE) on this
issue and have considered contacting others such as People Acting in
Community Together (PACT) and Project Sentinel.  CJ Holmes, a real
estate agent in Santa Rosa, has founded an organization called Home
Owners for Justice (hofj.org) to fight this.  CJ was interviewed on
Flashpoints in KPFA about her work.  She is offering to do free two-hour
workshops in San José and elsewhere.  I suggested to her that I might be
able to get the Peace Center for such an event with (partial?)
sponsorship from the Santa Clara Greens.

       However, it occurs to me that a more effective approach may be to
organize a project under the supervision of an attorney that would
create a web portal to make it easier for people to fight the banks
successfully -- a higher success rate with lower legal fees, achieved in
part by combining the wisdom of a good legal team with tech folks who
can create a web portal making it easier for people concerned about this
issue to do constructive things -- like leveraging the work of the
recent San Francisco foreclosure audit
(http://www.sfassessor.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1018) to
increased effectiveness in fighting foreclosures.  Warner suggested I
ask Thomas Speilbauer (www.spielbauer.com/testimonials.htm
<http://www.spielbauer.com/testimonials.htm>) if he might like to
support a project like this.  He would donate some of his time with the
anticipation that he would get some other paid work directly and
indirectly from this project while people facing foreclosures could
achieve more success at a lower cost.  However, before I contact
Spielbauer, I want to try to contact the attorneys who have been
associated with OSJ, ACCE, PACT, etc., because we might find one who
could be a better fit for this kind of project.

       I'd like guidance in the following terms:

             1.  Does the Santa Clara Green Party want to support such a
project as long as it does not require money from the party?

OR:

             2.  Would the Santa Clara Green Party want to hear more
details on each event or project proposal before making a commitment?

       Of course, I would also be pleased to have other people
volunteering time to help make something like this happen.

       Thanks,
       Spencer

On 4/22/2012 3:16 PM, WB4D23 at aol.com wrote:

> *GREEN PARTY OF SANTA CLARA COUNTY*
>
> Draft Agenda for Monthly General Membership Meeting April 26, 2012
> (4^th Thursday)
>
> San Jose Peace and Justice Center, 48 South 7th Street, San Jose, CA
>
> (Near 7th and San Fernando Streets)
>
> 7:00 pm -- Eat and chat
>
> 7:30 pm -- Begin meeting
>
> Select Facilitator, Notetaker, Timekeeper, and Vibeswatcher(s), Select
> Agenda Preparer for next meeting; Affirm or modify draft agenda (5
> Minutes)
>
> Introductions and Announcements (10 Minutes)
>
> Treasurer's Report -- Jim Doyle (5 minutes)
>
> *PROPOSAL TO FILL COUNTY COUNCIL VACANCY:*At last month's GPSCC
> meeting, it was proposed that John Thielkin be appointed to fill a
> vacancy on the GPSCC County Council.We have three CC members where
> there can be up to seven positions.The proposal was postponed to the
> April meeting because there had not been advance notice.NOTE:There
> were no filings for election to the County Council for the two year
> period beginning June 2012.We need additional volunteers to be County
> Council members!!!
>
> -- County Council (10 Minutes)
>
> Speaker from Project 350 -- Presenter Gerry Gras (10 Minutes)
>
> County Polling on Propositions 28 and 29 -- Tian Harter (20
> minutes)There are two ballot measures that have been presented for
> GPCA approval or opposition by County Polling (see summaries
> below).The deadline for our County's positions (4 votes) is due by
> April 28^th .
>
> General Assembly (May 12-13 in San Francisco) Preparation -- Warner
> Bloomberg
>
> (30 Minutes)At the March GPSCC meeting, Warner Bloomberg, Merriam
> Music and Tian Harter were affirmed as delegates for the upcoming
> Plenary.We need one more delegate and some alternates.We also need to
> discuss our positions for proposals to significantly revise the GPCA
> Bylaws and to modify a 2006 proposal for GPCA Elections Code
> sections.Also note that a Green Party presidential candidates forum is
> planned for Saturday evening.For more details about the agenda go to
> cagreens.org/ga
>
> Movies Night -- Proposals -- Merriam and John Thielkin (5 Minutes)
>
> Discussion of status of tabling supplies --(10 Minutes)
>
> Plan for Spring Tabling --(5 Minutes)
>
> Berryessa Arts & Wine Festiveal Saturday May 12^th
>
> Others???
>
> (1 Hour 50 Minutes Estimated Cumulative Times.Goal:Adjourn by 9:30 pm)
>
> Tabling Events Addenda -- Needed for each item (not necessarily all at
> this meeting):
>
> Confirm date and location; Approval of fee payment (as applicable);
> Designation of coordinator(s) and other volunteers
>
> May 12 Barryessa Arts and Wine Festival
>
> ###
>
> [From GPSCC Bylaws] ARTICLE 2 COUNTY COUNCIL
>
> 2.1 Purposes
>
> 2.1.1 The County Council will fulfill the legal requirement for a
> [...]

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126