[GPSCC-chat] 1:30 hearing today, Santa Clara County Superior Court in David (Merritt) v. Goliath (Mozilo et al.)

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Fri Aug 17 09:38:20 PDT 2012

Hello, All:

	  We learned last night that the judge represented defendants in this
case on numerous occasions prior to coming to the bench.  He failed to
disclose this potential conflict of interest earlier and has repeatedly
ruled in favor of his former clients, both in apparent violation of law.
   Today, David will ask him to disqualify himself for cause.  The more
people we get in the courtroom for this hearing, the greater the
likelihood that he will comply with this request.

	  A message to this effect (below) has been sent to roughly 100
representatives of media.  My wife and I will be there around 1 today; I
will have to leave by 1:35 to make a 2 PM appointment elsewhere.  The
attachment mentioned there is available at
"http://www.scscourt.org/online_services/tentatives/sp_tr_dept18/friday.pdf"

	  This is the only case on the calendar for this 1:30 PM session, so it
should start on time.  (I was 2 minutes late for a hearing a couple of
months ago in an OSJ case and missed the whole thing.)

	  Hope to see you there.
	  Spencer

#################

An important anti-foreclosure proceeding will occur today at 1:30 p.m.,
Santa Clara County Superior Court, Old Courthouse, 161 North First
Street San Jose, CA 95113.  This procedure is a fairly important hearing
in a case with possible national repercussions, as it could reverse the
increasing decriminalization of rich on poor financial fraud.

Defendants Countrywide Financial Corporation, Countrywide Home Loans,
Inc. (now Bank of America), Angelo Mozilo, David Sarnbol, Michael
Colyer’s and others (collectively “Defendants”) have petitioned
California Superior Court for a protective order that excludes all
citizens including the media from a mandated deposition of Salma and
David Merritt.  Judge Stoelker has issued a tentative ruling (attached)
granting defendants protection from public scrutiny.  This ruling
appears to violate the California constitution requiring public judicial
procedings, pushing the Merritts into a potentially interminable secret
star chamber proceeding.  Video recordings of the first days of said
deposition shows defense attorney Goldberg browbeating and abusing Mrs.
Merritt with excessive and unprofessional profane language.

Today David will ask Judge Stoelker to disqualify himself for cause, as
prior to coming to the bench, he represented defendants in this case in
numerous similar proceedings.  In previous rulings in this case, he has
consistently decided in favor of his previous clients.

David claims to have compiled evidence of felonious behavior on the part
of defendants relating to a predatory loan the Merritts received in
2006. At that time, representatives of Countrywide manipulated events to
present the Merritts with the choice of forfeiting a $36,000 down
payment or signing a contract without reading it. They signed.  When
they read the contract, they learned that a promised 30-year mortgage
with monthly payments of roughly $2,000 had been replaced by a
complicated interest-only contract with teaser monthly payments starting
at $4,500 and a balloon payment 30 years later of $720,000. This
high-pressure bait-and-switch sales tactic may have been typical of many
loans. If so, it may help explain the current fragility of international
financial markets and the massive transfer of wealth from the poor and
middle class to the ultra wealthy in recent years.

In the present case, Judge Stoelker has ruled repeatedly against the
Merritts' discovery motions to obtain documents similar to those used 25
years ago during the Savings and Loan scandal to prove the complicity of
senior executives.

More information is contained in Judge Stoelker's tentative ruling in
this case (attached; please disregard the 9 AM time mentioned there: the
hearing is scheduled for 1:30 PM).

For more information, call Spencer Graves, 408-655-4567, or David
Merritt, 408-469-5584.

Thanks,
Spencer Graves

--