[GPSCC-chat] monthly discussion re: Iran and Syria.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Aug 22 09:20:34 PDT 2012

On 8/21/2012 6:03 PM, John Thielking wrote:
> Additional items for the agenda:
> 1) We need to be sure to have our monthly discussion re: Iran and Syria.

This discussion is important, but I think that it needs to be understood
as part of a wider context, that of the "Drift" of American policy
toward increased militarism.

You may wonder why I put the word "Drift" in quotes.  It is the title of
a book by Rachel Maddow (MSNBC) that chronicles the changes in or
attitude toward the use of the military from the days when Pres. Madison
did not like the idea of a permanent standing army through the most
recent times of Vietnam, Regan's use of the military in Grenada and then
the wars with Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. "Drift" is available from the
Santa Clara County Library system where the wait list is generally
shorter than the number of copies available. Yeah, that is a
recommendation to read it.

I also would consider the relative importance of this subject and the
long range implication of making it the center of Green advocacy.  But
that is the subject of another post which I will send a bit later today.