[GPSCC-chat] Perpetual conflict

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Thu Aug 23 11:42:12 PDT 2012

In one recent post, I mentioned the book "Drift" by Rachel Maddow. That
is the story of how we have gotten into posture of perpetual conflict
against enemies that no US Politician can ignore.  If they do, they risk
being called "weak" by the opposition.  So, all conflicts become in some
manner part of our "national interest".

So, along with Iran and Syria, attention must be paid to Mali. In brief,
the Tauregs, a minority (10%) ethnic group from Northern Mali, has
always resisted the centralized government in Timbuktu. The Taureg are
Muslims.  However, when the resistance to a centralized Mali government
was taken over by another ethnic group with  Al Qaeda links and
financing, the Tauregs have been forced to flee to Mauritania to escape
living under a version of Sharia law that they do not accept.

Note: this conflict pits Muslim against Muslim in the same manner as the
"troubles" in N. Ireland pitted Christian against Christian.

I am sure that the Al Qaeda  linkage has been enough to attract the
attention of Panetta's CIA and our military planners.  But this will
continue as long as we refrain from questioning what role America should
have and how much of that is the responsibility of our military in
carrying out that policy.  Right now, I cringe every time I hear a
politician respond to a question about what they will do by saying "I'll
listen to the commanders in the field."  It is not their responsibility
to set policy.