[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: ACTA blowing up!

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Feb 9 05:06:32 PST 2012

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	ACTA blowing up!
Date: 	Thu, 9 Feb 2012 12:44:37 +0000
From: 	Access <access at accessnow.org>
To: 	Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com>

<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cdc4/13a5a418/72b4d93c/1de406ad/4246691931/VEsH/>

*Click through to join the protests online and offline against ACTA.*
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cdc4/13a5a418/72b4d93c/1de406ad/4246691931/VEsE/>

Spencer --

What started as a few scattered demonstrations against ACTA has
*exploded into an international day of action this Saturday! *There are
nearly 200 events across the world, with *hundreds of thousands of
people expected to hit the streets* to protest this dangerous
international agreement.

Our feet have not yet hit the pavement, but our voices *are already
being heard!* Facing a groundswell of opposition to ACTA, the Czech
Republic, Poland and Slovenia are already wavering on ratification and
the European Parliament’s point person for ACTA resigned his post in
protest.

With ACTA’s supporters starting to wake up, *we're facing a critical
moment*. ACTA can still be stopped in the European Parliament, and if
it’s defeated there, the whole agreement will unravel. *Momentum is on
our side* and we must not stop now. *Click through* to find out how to
join hundreds of thousands of people protesting online and offline
against ACTA:

https://www.accessnow.org/acta-protest
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cdc4/13a5a418/72b4d93c/1de406ac/4246691931/VEsF/>

Here you’ll find information about ACTA, a listing of Saturday's
protests, *fact sheets *in several languages to hand out, and steps to
download the ACTA Protest USTREAM App so you can *livestream the event*
using your mobile phone.*If there’s no protest near you, host one by
starting a Facebook event and e-mail info at accessnow.org the link.*

While we support the rights of creators, *protection of intellectual
property should not come at the expense of freedom of speech and our
privacy*. It is the duty of government to protect our rights, not put
them in the hands of corporations and encourage ISPs to act as judge,
jury, and executioner over our content and web activity.

Once seen as a done deal, *ACTA’s fate is now hanging in the balance*.
The world is watching. *Stand up for internet freedom this Saturday and
protest ACTA!*

https://www.accessnow.org/acta-protest
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cdc4/13a5a418/72b4d93c/1de406ac/4246691931/VEsC/>

See you out there,
The Access Team

P.S. Our petition has hit 350,000 and is still growing. To have the most
impact in the European Parliament, it needs to get to 500,000. *Help us*
by sending this link around to your family and friends:
https://www.accessnow.org/acta
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cdc4/13a5a418/72b4d93c/1de406af/4246691931/VEsD/>