[GPSCC-chat] Other Voices article for the Milpitas Post

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Thu Feb 9 08:32:17 PST 2012

Other Voices article for the Milpitas Post

At the last City Council meeting, I returned to my e-bike and found a
note: “Rob, Quit stealing from the City!! Robin”. (Here I use my
daughter's name to protect the judgmental.) That note caused me to think
that others might view my use of City electricity as a theft. So, I
offer the following explanation of my behavior.

My use of electric-powered bicycles stems from my belief that Climate
Change caused by CO2 emissions is a big problem that is rapidly getting
worse. In 2011, the nation suffered 14 weather disasters each causing $1
billion or more in damage last year, a new record. The old record was
nine. Riding an e-bike around town helps cut my personal carbon
footprint, so I feel that I am making a personal contribution to a
sustainable society. And, beside, riding an electric bike for errands is
a lot more fun than driving.

The “stealing” in question is my use of City power to re-charge my
batteries. Since long before the new City Hall was built, back when the
old City Hall had an unlocked electrical outlet a few feet from the
bicycle rack, I rode my e-bike there and plugged in. Cost to the City:
one cent whenever I charge up. That one cent of electricity is good for
about 2 miles on an e-bike, and my home is about 2 miles from City Hall.
If our community agrees that the reduction of CO2 emissions is worth one
cent to the public welfare, then we can call it fair exchange.

What if I drove instead? There are costs, both financial and
environmental, to the City when I drive to the Council meetings in my
1990 mini-van. The financial costs include far more wear and tear on
City streets (which break down at a rate of $2M/year but are only
repaired at a $1M/year level) along with tire and brake residue which
are environmental costs. There is also the public health costs of the
toxic exhaust that is not mitigated by a warm catalytic converter. When
cold, as it is the first miles, the converter does little or nothing to
reduce pollution.

Then there is that parking place that my van will need. Surface parking
spots go for about $10,000 each, not counting maintenance. If we pretend
that “my” parking spot will last for 100 years, my 2-hour “free parking”
subsidy from the City would be two cents. The City is still getting a
bargain when I e-bike and re-charge instead.

“Robin” may not know that nearly 60% of the oil consumed in the United
States is imported from other countries. We are importing over $300B
($300,000,000,000) of oil per year. As a fiscal conservative, I think it
is nuts – especially since multiple plans show that we can save a lot of
money switching to renewables. As Al Gore put it, "We're borrowing money
from China to buy oil from the Persian Gulf to burn it in ways that
destroy the planet. Every bit of that's got to change."

As a patriot, I want to reduce our country's dependence on foreign
regimes. As a citizen, I want to promote the general welfare and public
health. As a responsible individual and member of my community, I am
doing what I can to shift the culture away from today's “fuelish” ways
toward sustainable ways – including riding an e-bike. And charging for
“free” at City Hall.

Rob Means has promoted, sold and serviced light electric vehicles for 15
years.  www.electric-bikes.com, his website, is top-ranked by Google for
"electric bikes".

--
Rob Means,1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
408-262-0420h, 408-262-8975w, rob.means at electric-bikes.com