[GPSCC-chat] Two events talking about Iran Feb 28th, 2012

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 07:38:46 PST 2012

>From the San Jose Peace and Justice Center Calendar (Too bad these are both at the exact same time in 2 different places):

Iran and the Bomb - Talking Sense With Michael Veiluva of WSLF
When: Tuesday, February 28 2012 @ 07:00 PM - - 09:00PM
Where: Unitarian Universalists of San Mateo
300 E. Santa Inez
San Mateo, CA 94401
Description: The sanctions and the threats on Iran ("everything is on the table") regarding its nuclear program are in the news every week. The International Atomic Energy Agency submits reports whose titles suggest a nuclear weapons program on the rise, but the evidence is about the same as before. Iran conducts various military-related tests that seem designed to shake up the region. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad makes another outlandish statement and the U.S. and Israel, perhaps together or separately, murmur about war.

The Iran story is looking darkly familiar to the events of 10 years ago. Indeed, even back then someone in the George W. Bush Administration blithely declared "...real men want to go to Tehran." (We are confident that person had no intention whatsoever of picking up a gun, putting on a helmet and flack jacket and boarding a C-130 for Iran.)

For its February meeting, Peace Action of San Mateo County is fortunate to have Michael Veiluva, general counsel to the Oakland-based peace and disarmament organization Western States Legal Foundation. Michael is also WSLF's expert on Iran and how it fits in with U.S. foreign policy and world events. He is the author of the book Burdens of Proof: Iran, the United States and Nuclear Weapons (2009), and contributed to Beyond Arms Control (2010), published by the Reaching Critical Will Project of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom. He has written extensively on the subject of Iran's nuclear program, most recently in the January 2012 Canadian Peace Magazine.

On Tuesday, February 28, Michael will offer his insights into this fluid situation, even as they and it currently evolve. We will gather at 7PM in Beck Hall of the Unitarian Universalists of San Mateo. The UUSM is wheelchair accessible from the Ellsworth Street entrance.

This is a chance to learn about preparations for the next war - and try to gather some knowledge on how to stop it.

(See event web page)

War on Iran? The Gathering Storm
When: Tuesday, February 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM - - 09:30PM
Where: Unitarian Universalist Church
505 E. Charleston Road
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Tuesday, February 28 2012 @ 07:30 PM - - 09:30PM
Fireside Room, Unitarian Universalist Church
505 E. Charleston Road
Palo Alto, CA 94306
A Panel Discussion

STEPHEN ZUNES
Professor of Politics and International Studies, Chair of the Program in Middle Eastern Studies, University of San Francisco

LARRY EVEREST
Author of "Oil, Power, & Empire" and Correspondent for Revolution

The danger of a war on Iran – initiated by Israel or the U.S. or both – is escalating rapidly. The U.S. and its allies are intensifying their assault on Iran, including new crippling sanctions, assassinations, and sabotage. Some political leaders are openly threatening to attack. The ground is being laid daily in the headlines and statements by politicians of every stripe in mainstream U.S. politics calling for aggression against Iran, supposedly justified by unsubstantiated assertions that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons.

Free and open to all. Contributions will be requested.
Wheelchair accessible.

This event is sponsored by Peninsula Peace and Justice Center

(See event web page)