[GPSCC-chat] Agenda for Jan. meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Jan 21 14:29:02 PST 2012

Hello, All:

Could start the next meeting, Jan. 26, with Betsy Wolf-Graves talking
about the work of PACT (People Acting in Community Together) that
convinced the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors to opt out of the
"Secure Communities" program to get tough on "illegal aliens"? Below
please find a summary of their work.

See you then.

Best Wishes,
Spencer

Santa Clara County, a Progressive Voice Against Secure Communities

October 18th may go down in the history of immigration reform as a
landmark day. On that day the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors
voted NOT to follow demands of the federal government on "Secure
Communities" because (a) it's against the philosophy of our County and
(b) it is an unfunded federal mandate.

The issue was detainers: notices to the sheriff’s staff to hold an
individual and do a background check on that person. PACT (People Acting
in Community Together) started at least two years ago trying to
understand a new program called Secure Communities. The intent of this
program seemed to be to deport undocumented immigrants. It was already
generating concern in our local immigrant community. Grass roots groups
came together. Strategy sessions developed plans to contact decision
makers, utilize the expertise of group members, consult with the
County’s legal team and with the chair of the committee responsible for
understanding and dealing with Secure Communities, the Public Safety and
Justice Committee, chaired by Supervisor George Shirakawa. PACT also
worked with Zoe Lofgren, who represents part of San José in the US House
of Representatives. She is a senior member of the Judiciary Subcommittee
on Immigration and Border Security. The program had been represented to
her as voluntary but was being sold to Santa Clara County as mandatory.
She was so troubled by that discrepancy that she ordered an
investigation, which should make it easier for Santa Clara County to
sustain their decision last Oct. 18 to opt out of "Secure Communities".
However, the issue is not dead. PACT is continuing to meet to ensure
that the recent Board of Supervisors' decision is actually translated
into reality.

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer