[GPSCC-chat] CA DISCLOSE Act Needs Your Help--Now!

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 21 15:38:51 PST 2012

   Having passed the two committees in the state legislature, the CA DISCLOSE

Act* comes up for a vote on the assembly floor 1/31.  That is just ten days away.

  A 2/3 vote in favor will allow the bill to pass into law this year.  If we only get

50%, the best we get is a ballot initiative in 2014.  Since 80% of voters support

the concept, it will surely pass then, but I'd rather get this done now and save

2014 for "Green 2014".

   We need people to make phone calls to hot prospects--they've already signed

the petition--and ask them to contact their on-the-fence state legislators and ask

for a yes vote on AB 1148.*

   Because our window of opportunity is very small--6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m--we

need many, many callers to help.  If you're shy on the phone, that's all the more

reason to do this.  You work from a script, you're calling friendly people, and

practice makes perfect.  It's a great confidence-builder.  (Also, if you work the

1:00 pm to 3:00 pm shift, you'll mostly be leaving voicemails.)

  This bill is the first brick in the wall to get Big Money out of the democratic

processes.  Please help us get it done now.

  You can start by signing the petition in support of the bill at caclean.org

(right column, second item).   Then tell me you want to do the phone-bank

training, and I'll sign you up.

Brian

* The CA DISCLOSE Act, AB 1148, will require that those who fund political

ads identify themselves.  No more hiding behind names like "Committee for

More Jobs".  They'll have to say, "This ad funded by EXXON,  Halliburton,

and General Atomics".  Recent experience shows that when the voters know

that ballot initiatives are sponsored by interests such as "Texas Oil", PG&E,

and Mercury Insurance, they know to vote them down.