[GPSCC-chat] CA DISCLOSE Act Needs Your Help--Now!

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sat Jan 21 16:03:06 PST 2012

Hello, All:

On 1/21/2012 3:38 PM, Brian Good wrote:

>    Having passed the two committees in the state legislature, the CA
> DISCLOSE
> Act* comes up for a vote on the assembly floor 1/31.  That is just ten
> days away.
>
>   A 2/3 vote in favor will allow the bill to pass into law this year.
> If we only get
> 50%, the best we get is a ballot initiative in 2014.  Since 80% of
> voters support
> the concept, it will surely pass then, but I'd rather get this done
> now and save
> 2014 for "Green 2014".

       I'm less convinced with Brian that it would pass as a ballot
initiative, because we can count on substantial opposition from the
media as well as people with money, because anything that reduces the
effectiveness of advertising is a direct threat to their profitability.
Consequently, I would expect that people with money would likely run
focus groups to figure out how to convince the public that it's a bad
idea, then spend lavishly on ads to drive home their argument.  That's
how health care reform was defeated in both the Clinton and Obama
administrations.  (Oh, yes:  The Obama administration actually passed a
health care bill, but the bill that was passed was mostly a giveaway to
the insurance companies and so-called ethical health care industry.)

       Spencer

>    We need people to make phone calls to hot prospects--they've
> already signed
> the petition--and ask them to contact their on-the-fence state
> legislators and ask
> for a yes vote on AB 1148.*
>
>    Because our window of opportunity is very small--6:30 p.m. to 8:00
> p.m--we
> need many, many callers to help.  If you're shy on the phone, that's
> all the more
> reason to do this.  You work from a script, you're calling friendly
> people, and
> practice makes perfect.  It's a great confidence-builder.  (Also, if
> you work the
> 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm shift, you'll mostly be leaving voicemails.)
>
>   This bill is the first brick in the wall to get Big Money out of the
> democratic
> processes.  Please help us get it done now.
>
>   You can start by signing the petition in support of the bill at
> caclean.org
> (right column, second item).   Then tell me you want to do the phone-bank
> training, and I'll sign you up.
>
> Brian
>

> * The CA DISCLOSE Act, AB 1148, will require that those who fund political
> ads identify themselves.  No more hiding behind names like "Committee for
> More Jobs".  They'll have to say, "This ad funded by EXXON,  Halliburton,
> and General Atomics".  Recent experience shows that when the voters know
> that ballot initiatives are sponsored by interests such as "Texas
> Oil", PG&E,
> and Mercury Insurance, they know to vote them down.

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126