[GPSCC-chat] CA DISCLOSE Act Needs Your Help--Now!

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:43:56 PST 2012

   You're right, Spencer, we can expect a well-financed and desperately dishonest
campaign against the CA DISCLOSE Act if it goes to the public in 2014.

   CA Clean Money conceived the California DISCLOSE Act after a dirty trick mounted
by the opposition to our previous effort, Prop. 15*, which would have provided for
public finance of the Sec'y of State race in California.   Anonymous entities. probably
funded by the lobbyists' lobby,  sent out millions of postcards to voters that gave
the impression of coming from the Democratic Party, and asked voters to vote for
Sen. Boxer and Rep. Pelosi--and also to vote against Prop. 15.  The Democratic Party
did not oppose Prop. 15.

   A showdown in 2014 with these scumbags may take enormous efforts.  Which is all
the more reason we need to marshall our efforts in the next ten days to do everything
we can to get AB1148 passed on 1/31 by a 2/3 majority--so we can spend 2014 on
Green 2014.

Brian

*   Prop. 15 in 2010 would have provided for Public Finance of the Sec'y of State race
in California.  Arizona and Maine already have public finance laws, and it works very
well.  Under Prop. 15 the registration fees on lobbyists would have been raised from
$10 a year to a couple hundred dollars, and that would have generated $4 million
every election cycle to fund the Sec'y of State election.

   A candidate who proved his or her viability by raising a certain amount of $5
donations (something like $50,000 or $75,000) would qualify for $1 million in
funds for the campaign.  Imagine if the Greens had $1,000,000 to run a professional
campaign for this office--with paid staffers, real offices, quality printing, billboards.

   Moneyed interests are scared to death of public finance.