[GPSCC-chat] agenda(?) topic

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 12:24:36 PST 2012

In the 9/11 Truth movement becausewe have widely divergent knowledge bases, interests,
agendas, standards of evidence, and priorities of values, we often have bitter disagreements
about effective strategies, associations, and style.  Many of us have a somewhat paranoid
world view, many of us take on more work than we can do perfectly, and charges that some
of us are infiltrating saboteurs are easily leveled and difficult to settle.

Experienced truth movement activists have widely accepted the principle that in conflicts we
should focus on discussing counter-productive behaviors, and not on public psychoanalysis or
speculations on the motivations of our adversaries, which can get into circular recriminations
accomplishing nothing but disruption and ill will.  If we never arrive at a consensus about the
proper psychiatric diagnosis of Joe Schmoe and we will never have proof that he is or is not
paid by the DHS to disrupt us, debating these only wastes time and distracts from the
important question of identifying and squelching counterproductive behaviors and activities.
At best we gain only the understanding that Joe Schmoe is bad news--and we already knew
that.  At worst we squander energy and out of sheer fatigue stampede into snitch-jacketing
and embittering a useful ally.

Our experience with disruption leads us to set aside motivations and focus instead on whether
the behaviors help us or hurt us.  Why discuss personalities if the behaviors have already
been identified as harmful?  Debating behavior brings us to principles guiding all of us in
effective cooperation in serving the goals of the movement.

An excellent statement of guidelines is posted here:

http://truthaction.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3227

Here's the section on disruptors:

Dealing with destructive and divisive behavior

1) Identify and critique behavior that is harmful to the movement (i.e.
speculative theories without evidence and
activists who engage in
disruptive behavior, divisive incidents, etc). Challenge leaders who
unreasonably continue
to support and tolerate such damaging behavior.

2) Refuse to debate solidly debunked theories by simply referencing
responsible websites, articles, and blogs
which have already refuted
such claims

3) Discourage unnecessary and unproductive antagonism (i.e. infighting,
personal attacks, gossip, etc.) that
wastes time and causes
divisiveness.

4) Avoid the divisive labeling of individuals and groups.(i.e. shill, agent etc)

5) Be aware and vigilant concerning the presence of agent provocateurs
within the movement. Do not engage
in witch hunts or unsubstantiated
accusations. Treat those who continually, and despite consultation, act
in word
and deed in the manner of agent provocateurs, as such. While
these people can rarely be proven to be agents,
they should be treated
as counterproductive and untrustworthy. Such groups and individuals
should not be
engaged in unproductive ways, such as aggression,
name-calling, personal attacks, etc. Instead, the substance
of their
destructive behavior should be detailed, after which they should be
avoided when possible. If appropriate,
exclusionary action (banning from
 forums or groups, removal of links from websites, cancellation of
speaking
engagements etc.) or in extreme cases legal action should be
taken.

6) Do not allow the proliferation of irresponsible information or
damaging behavior simply because the
individuals or groups in question
maintain a certain reputation or notoriety within the movement. The fact

 that someone may “have done good work in the past” is never a valid
excuse to tolerate damaging participation
in the present. The movement
must be about truth and justice rather than character and popularity.

In Summary: It is in our experience that group unity is not achieved by
ignoring divisiveness. It is achieved
through civil critique and a
constructive response to the disruptive behavior.