[GPSCC-chat] registration drive challenge, Re: Agenda for Jan. meeting

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 22 13:39:14 PST 2012

Most of my activism these days is with two organizations--a worldwide educational 501(c)3 with
18,000 members and a California political group with 40,000 registered supporters.

Neither of these organizations could function effectively without our databases and internet tools
and our conference-call services with internet screen-sharing functionality.  The educational

group's 20 committees employ volunteers Skyping in from all over the world, they maintain
elaborate internet-accessible data depositories to facilitate collaborative projects, and it keeps its
base informed with a regular internet newsletter that invites people to volunteer for or contribute
to particular projects.  In the political group we can create lists of our supporters sorted by
assembly district or volunteer status or even by zip code.   Face-to-face meetings are fun, but
when I'm behind in my work and all of my work is on the internet, it's hard to justify the
travel time, let alone the meeting time.

I think I saw a list of 600 registered Greens in Palo Alto alone.  I've only ever met about ten of
them that I know of.  If we had a proper database we could target email announcements of local
functions to local members, we could inform our people statewide of the registration project, and
we could stir up enthusiasm for specific projects.

Paper and pencil have their place in collecting contact information on the street and at meetings,
but a culture of computer-phobia is guaranteed to alienate young people who want to get stuff
done.   Using teleconferencing and internet screensharing, it's possible to teach even technophobes
to volunteer collaborative effort to the cause without even leaving their homes.   If we want to
make change in the 21st Century we have to live in the 21st Century or we'll be left behind.