[GPSCC-chat] California Disclose Act and Tuesday, Jan. 24, 1:30 PM: San José City Council Meeting

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Jan 22 19:42:20 PST 2012

Hello, All:

       As Brian has indicated on this list, the California Disclose Act
would require more complete disclosure of the source of funding for
advertisements for candidates and initiatives
(www.caclean.org/progress/ab1148.php
<http://www.caclean.org/progress/ab1148.php>).  It is scheduled for a
vote in the California Assembly on Jan. 31.  If it gets a 2/3 majority,
it could become law this year, if I understand correctly.  If it gets a
simple majority, we can at best hope to get an initiative in a 2014
election, where we can expect that big money will do their focus groups
and figure out how to defame this so the public thinks it's bad.  (They
have demonstrated a great ability to make the electorate believe that
black is white and white black.)

       I therefore encourage you to go to "www.cleanmoney.org" and sign
their petition if you haven't already (second item under "Get involved"
in the left hand column of www.caclean.org <http://www.caclean.org/>").
I also encourage you to try to find out how your representatives in the
California Assembly and Senate feel about this and write them asking how
how they feel about this and asking for their support if you cannot find
their position or thanking them if they support it or asking them to
reconsider if they oppose.  You can find them by selecting "Find my
representative" near the top middle at "http://assembly.ca.gov
<http://assembly.ca.gov/>", and entering your address.  I just did this
(without bothering to research their positions), sending the following
to both my California Assembly and Senate representatives:

             * What is your position on the California Disclose Act?  It
is my impression that it is needed.  Thanks, Spencer Graves

       Also, at today's Occupy San José General Assembly, Shaunn
Cartwright asked us to please attend Tuesday's City Council meeting and
express your support for a City Council resolution supporting the
California Disclose Act .  The current agenda indicates that the City
Council meets in closed session at 9 AM and open session at 1:30 PM
(www.sanjoseca.gov/clerk/Agenda/20120124/20120124a.pdf), with this being
item 3.3 under "3.  Strategic Support Services" right after "3.1.
Report of the City Manager" and "3.2.  Labor Negotiations Update", with
a recommendation that the latter be heard at 9 AM.

       Shaunn said that Mayor Reed opposes this, and it's on the agenda
for Tuesday only because enough Occupiers appeared at an earlier meeting
to speak for it that it was referred to committees and the City
administration for their evaluation.  That evaluation has now been
competed and is available via the web links above.  It can be passed
Tuesday provided enough people appear in time and ask for a minute to
make a brief statement supporting it.  Unless Shaunn clarifies why she
suggested arriving by 3 PM, I encourage you to arrive before 1:30 with
material to read or otherwise help you be productive while waiting for
this issue to be considered.

       Thanks to Brian, Shaunn and others for their hard work on this
issue.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

--