[GPSCC-chat] CA DISCLOSE Act 2 Votes Shy

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:50:57 PST 2012

Excellent question!  To get the bill out on the assembly floor today we had to first get through
the Elections Committee and the Appropriations Committee.  The chair of the Appropriations
Committee, Felipe Fuentes (San Fernando), seemed very reluctant to support the bill.  His
concern reportedly was that putting the initiative on the ballot would require printing an
extra page in the voter's handbook (IIRC the cost would have been $250,000).

My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that the bill provided that if we got the 2/3
of the assembly, then the bill would go to the Governor for signature this year, but if we got
only 51% then the issue would be placed on the ballot in 2014.  I believe the Appropriations
Committee altered the bill to remove the simple-majority-and-ballot-initiative option before
they voted (strictly along party lines) to put the bill on the floor.

Also, I was wrong about re-introducing the bill next year.  The heroic Nancy Neff informs me
that we'll re-introduce it this year.  (Shucks, I thought I might actually find some time to work
on my novel sometime this year.)

Brian