[GPSCC-chat] input on ballot statement

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 31 17:41:12 PST 2012

GREEN PARTY COUNTY CONTACTS MESSAGE

This is an announcement from the GPCA Contact List.
For more information, or questions related to the topic of the posting,
please do not hit reply.  Follow the contact directions stated in the
email.

We are seeking input on GPCA's ballot statement.

Our most recent statement is included on a website
http://www.cagreens.org/elections/ballot-statements
with all previous ballot statements and is reproduced below:

****************************
Green Party

Californians need living-wage jobs, affordable housing, sustainable
energy, single-payer health care and progressive taxation. Greens
support vibrant economically sustainable communities, preserving
environments, withdrawing from Iraq and Afghanistan, and developing
safe clean energy sources. Greens oppose bailouts and corporate
personhood.

Greens advocate:
Sustainable Economics:

Supporting workplace representation, creating living-wage jobs,
affordable housing, public transportation, and sustainable energy.
Implementing fair graduated taxation on one's ability to pay,
eliminating government subsidies to corporations, and implementing
carbon taxes.
Ending government indebtedness and deficit spending.

Constitutional Rights:

Supporting habeas corpus, repealing mandatory sentencing, and amending
the Three Strikes Law.
Repealing the Patriot Act, withdrawing from Iraq and ending preemptive
wars.
Requiring presidential election by popular vote, equal access to
debates and state ballots, ranked choice voting and reliable counting
methods.

Environment protection:

Promoting public-owned safe, clean renewable energy.
Reducing global warming through efficiency, conservation and fossil fuel
taxes.
Protecting endangered species, agricultural land, and opposing sprawl
developments.

Social justice:

Supporting single-payer healthcare and free public education.
Supporting undocumented immigrants' right to work.
Ending torture and unwarranted surveillance.

Greens want government accountability, a vibrant economy, sustainable
environments, social justice and Constitutional rights for all.

Green Party of California
P.O. Box 2828,
Sacramento, CA 95812
(916) 448-3437
Website: www.cagreens.org

This request is based on an email that we recently received from our
liaison to the Secretary of State, Jared Laiti

CC,

I received a letter from the SOS "once again offering CA's qualified
political parties the opportunity to provide" statements for the
primary ballot "should space allow." But apparently they will have
space for it on their website regardless.

The statement has to be 200 words. "Solicitations for donations,
references to other political parties, and references to candidates in
other political parties will not be accepted."  Our address, phone
number, and web address are not subject to the word limit.

I am to submit our statement no later than 5 PM on 2/16/12, by snail
mail or fax apparently - note that I do not have personal access to a
fax but I can scan and email a letter to someone who does..

It does not say what happens if we fail to submit a statement,
hopefully that won't be an issue.

Jared
SOS Liaison

If you have input, please send it to one of the two GPCA Coordinating
Committee co-chairs

Sanda Everette, co-chair, GPCA Coordinating Committee sanda at greens.org
Alex Shantz, co-chair, GPCA Coordinating Committee alexshantz at gmail.com