[GPSCC-chat] Independence Epistle

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.us
Wed Jul 4 10:29:20 PDT 2012

I see political arguments that depend on false assumptions way too
often.  It's a bad habit we should try to break, a habit that lets
nonsense sneak into the things people believe.  I've been seeing it a
lot in the comments on global warming stories.

      "Without US troops in Saudi Arabia, the suicide mass murders of
    September 11, 2001 would not have occurred."

"If I were king, the moon would be made of cheese" is the common
example.  The sentence is true but it has no meaning, because I'm not
king.  Nothing that follows from a false assumption truly follows.  It's
one of the non sequiturs ("it does not follow") the Greeks warned us
about.  "If Ralph Nader hadn't run in 2000, Gore would have won."  We
don't know that.  Without Nader's pressure, Gore could have run further
to the right and lost by a landslide.

Here a way to make Spencer's point without the false assumption.
"There's evidence that the presence of US troops in SA provoked Al Queda
into attacking the WTC."

It's a pet peeve.  Thanks for your patience.

-/Cameron in San Jos//é/