[GPSCC-chat] Fw: URGENT ACTION ALERT FROM MOTHERS FOR PEACE AND NIRS

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 17:38:53 PDT 2012

Check this out.

--- On Mon, 6/11/12, Elaine Holder <elaineholder at att.net> wrote:

From: Elaine Holder <elaineholder at att.net>
Subject: URGENT ACTION ALERT FROM MOTHERS FOR PEACE AND NIRS
Date: Monday, June 11, 2012, 5:18 PM

URGENT --
PLEASE SIGN THIS NIRS PETITION TO JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER NODA URGING HIM NOT TO RESTART THE OHI REACTORS. WE JUST RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE FROM MOTHERS FOR PEACE MEMBER, CAROLE HISASUE, FROM JAPAN WHERE SHE IS VISITING FAMILY MEMBERS.

I am in Japan now and Prime Minister Noda is about to OK the restart of the Ohi reactors "no matter what." There are still many unresolved safety issues, but he is ignoring them and scheduling the restart to get the plants up and running in time for the summer's peak demand. He wants Japan to believe that without the reactors, there will be blackouts that will affect hospitals, etc. and keeps saying that he has come to this decision to "save lives." Japan is a seismically active country which has become even more so after last year's massive earthquake. The Ohi reactors, like many others here, are built on top of fault lines. Necessary safety measures will take months to implement so his rush to restart the reactors is nothing short of insanity. It is horrifying even the supporters of nuclear energy. In a speech last week he said he "will take full responsibility" in the case of another accident. The Fukushima accident is not even close to being resolved
 and there is no way anyone can take "full responsibility." Radiation is spreading through the disposal of radioactive debris. Victims have not been compensated, even though their lives are ruined forever. He needs to act responsibly NOW. Tell him the whole world is watching.

Thank you, dear Mothers!!

Carole Hisasue

Begin forwarded message:

6930 Carroll Avenue, #340, Takoma Park, MD 20912; 301-270-6477; nirsnet at nirs.org; www.nirs.org

ACTIONS, ACTIONS, AND MORE ACTIONS....

JAPAN, VOGTLE LOANS, EMERGENCY PLANNING....AND MORE

June 11, 2012,

We're just back from the inspiring Netroots Nation conference in Providence, Rhode Island--which your actions and support enabled us to attend. Thank you! We made some great new contacts and took the nuclear-free, carbon-free message to a whole new constituency.

Now that we're back, there's a lot going on:

Japan
Our colleagues in Japan--at Green Action, FoE Japan and others, have issued an urgent international plea for help from across the world.

As you probably know, Japan is currently nuclear-free--all of its 50+ reactors have been shutdown since the Fukushima disaster of March 2011. But Prime Minister Noda is now seeking restart of the two nuclear reactors at Ohi as soon as possible. And this could be a prelude to more restarts.

Our friends in Japan are asking for us all to raise our voices in protest. Please act right now and sign a new petition here, which will be delivered to the Japanese embassy in the United States on Monday, June 18. If you're in the DC area and want to help deliver the petition on Monday, please contact us at nirsnet at nirs.org.

Vogtle loans
Last week, the Department of Energy announced that it is extending the deadline for the completion of the taxpayer loan package for construction of the Southern Company's Vogtle reactors in Georgia until the end of the year (it was supposed to be completed by the end of May). This is the latest sign that this loan is in real trouble.

Stopping this loan would not only be a blow to Vogtle, it almost certainly would end the entire nuclear loan guarantee program. More than 9300 people already have sent e-mails to DOE Secretary Chu and President Obama in opposition to this loan. It's time to really step it up and flood them with e-mails. Please join us and take action here, and then make sure to share this action with everyone you can think of. We can win this battle!

Emergency planning
NIRS' Petition for Rulemaking to expand emergency evacuation zone and strengthen emergency regulations is now in the middle of its official public comment period--it ends July 16. If it were up to NIRS, we wouldn't need emergency planning because all reactors would be closed; but that's not the current reality.

With hundreds of millions of Americans living within 50 miles of dangerous reactors, it is essential that the strongest possible emergency regulations are in place. Unfortunately, our current rules are not even as good as those that were in place in Japan. We can and must do better. Please send your comments in here.

NIRS Action Page
Our Action Page now includes all ongoing NIRS actions. Check it regularly to see if there is something new or that you missed!

New York City Rally, June 12
There will be a march to end nuclear energy tomorrow, June 12. Assemble at Tompkins Square Park at 7:30 pm. This is the anniversary of the June 12, 1982 anti-nuclear march that brought more than a million people to Manhattan. Sponsored by WBAI, Occupy Wall Street, Shut Indian Point Now, and more. More info here.

Berkeley California rally, June 19
There will be a rally at Berkeley City Hall at 6 pm on June 19 for a Nuclear Free California, in advance of a vote in the Berkeley City Council on this issue. If you can't make the rally, you can help anyway. More info here.

As always, thanks so much for what you do. Keep it up!
Michael Mariotte
Executive Director
Nuclear Information and Resource Service
nirsnet at nirs.org
www.nirs.org

P.S. your activism and financial support are what keeps us going. Seriously. Please make a tax-deductible contribution here or after you take action(s) and help us keep doing this essential work.

Stay Informed:
NIRS on the web (stay up-to-date with the Nuclear Newsreel section on the front page, featuring the day's most interesting news on nuclear power and other energy issues): http://www.nirs.org
NIRS on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nuclear-Information-and-Resource-Service/26490791479?sk=wall&filter=12

http://www.facebook.com/nonukesnirs

http://www.causes.com/causes/49098-no-nukes-nuclear-information-and-resource-service

NIRS on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/nirsnet
Please note: NIRS never sells, rents, trades, or otherwise makes our e-mail lists available to other organizations or individuals for any reason. If you would like to unsubscribe to NIRS list, click here to unsubscribe.