[GPSCC-chat] HBO Tirade from "The Newsroom" Mini-Series

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:16:47 PDT 2012

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YI7Oq8y-jXA
Jeff Daniels plays the ranting news anchor in this ten-episode HBO series.  In a panel discussion a
college sophomore asks him to say "why America is the greatest country in the world,"  he snaps:

There is absolutely no evidence to support the
statement that we're the greatest country in the world.
We're seventh in
 literacy, twenty-seventh in math, twenty-second in science, forty-ninth
 in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median
household income, number four in labor force, and number four in
exports. We lead the world in only three categories: number of
incarcerated citizens per capita, number of
adults who believe angels
are real, and defense spending, where we spend more than the next
twenty-six
countries combined, twenty-five of whom are allies. None of
this is the fault of a 20-year-old college student,
but you,
nonetheless, are without a doubt, a member of the
WORST-period-GENERATION-period-EVER-period,
so when you ask what makes
us the greatest country in the world, I don't know what the fuck you're talking
about?! Yosemite?!!!

We sure used to be. We stood up for what was right! We fought for moral
reasons, we passed and struck
down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars
 on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about
our
neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our
 chest. We built great big
things, made ungodly technological advances,
explored the universe, cured diseases, and cultivated the world's
greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the
stars, and we acted like men. We
aspired to intelligence; we didn't
belittle it; it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify
ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare
so easy. And we were able to be all these things and
do all these things
 because we were informed. By great men, men who were revered. The first
 step in solving
any problem is recognizing there is one—America is not
the greatest country in the world anymore.