[GPSCC-chat] Fwd: The big vote on Keystone XL

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 12:08:17 PST 2012

FYI,

Gerry

P.S. More at:

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	The big vote on Keystone XL
Date: 	Wed, 07 Mar 2012 18:28:03 +0000
From: 	Duncan Meisel - 350.org <organizers at 350.org>
To: 	Mr. Gerry Gras <gerrygras at earthlink.net>

Friends -

By now I'm sure you have some idea what I'm writing about: the Senate is
still up to no good with the Keystone XL tar sands pipeline, and we need
to remind them that this pipeline must be stopped. *It looks like the
big vote that we thought would come a week or two ago is happening today
or tomorrow.*

You've gotten a few emails from me about this over the past few weeks,
so I'll keep it as short as possible. We’re in a good position overall:
there’'s a lot of money on the other side of this fight, but a lot of
energy and resolve on ours.

This is the first time that the pipeline has had an up or down vote in
the Senate.*If we can block Keystone on this vote, we will be in a much
stronger position to keep it bottled up in the future.*

I was hoping you could send a strong message to your Senators to put a
nail in the coffin of this project. *There are two ways you can send a
message:*

*One, you can make a call - just click here to get your Senators' phone
numbers. <http://act.350.org/go/1185?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=1>*

*Two*: *You can use Facebook and Twitter so that everyone knows they’re
getting the message.* Senate staff monitor these accounts closely, and
they show the public how a Senator's constituents feel about the
pipeline. We set up a tool that connects you with your Senators'
Facebook pages and Twitter accounts, where you can leave a note about
stopping the pipeline: *Click here to send them a message on Facebook
and Twitter. <http://act.350.org/go/1186?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=2>*

Also, this won't be just a virtual effort either. *350.org
<http://act.350.org/go/19?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=3> activists will be
all over Capitol Hill today with our big pipeline in tow*, and in the
Halls of Congress as well, putting the pressure on wavering Senators by
getting them on record before the vote.

We’ve been hammering away at the Senate over Keystone XL for a few
months now, and while it’s incredibly important that we do everything we
can to win this fight, that’s not all that’s in store for the climate
movement in the USA this spring. Please keep an eye out for an email
from 350.org <http://act.350.org/go/19?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=4> about
a few big projects that we’re almost ready to unveil.

To wrap this email up quickly: Thank you.

--Duncan

PS - One of the big lessons from the fight against Keystone XL is that
direct action and civil disobedience can have a huge impact. Earlier
this week a group of Lakotas were arrested blocking tar sands pipeline
trucks from entering their territory. Read more about their action here
<http://act.350.org/go/1187?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=5> and get ready
some more exciting actions coming up over the coming months.

Articles and more resources:

“Reid Says He’d Allow Keystone Pipeline Vote” The Hill, 03/06/12.
thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/214471-reid-says-hed-allow-keystone-pipeline-vote

<http://act.350.org/go/1188?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=6>

For lobbying and political spending figures, visit OpenSecrets.org
<http://act.350.org/go/1189?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=7> and
DirtyEnergyMoney.org <http://act.350.org/go/1190?akid=1654.8388.ECHVOn&t=8>