[GPSCC-chat] Fixing the Criminal Justice System - Tonight

Carol Brouillet cbrouillet at igc.org
Wed May 23 14:02:13 PDT 2012

ACLU - Fixing the Criminal Justice System

When:Wednesday, May 23 2012 @ 06:45 PM - - 09:00PM
Where:Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto
505 East Charleston Road
Palo Alto, CA 94040
once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change it. The state has reached
its breaking point through the catastrophic convergence of a state
budget crisis, the expansion of the prison industrial complex,
federal and state policies that resulted in mass incarceration of
poor people and communities of color, and a mandate from the federal
court to reduce the overcrowding in our state prisons.

David A. Moss experienced the state at its worst, as he went to jail
14 times for a drug addiction which went untreated. In a dynamic and
engaging performance, David shines light on the opportunity that we
have today. "Instruments of Change: Our Time to Speak" highlights the
issues with the current system through David's personal story, and
advocates for evidence-based alternatives to incarceration.

The Public Safety Realignment Act (AB109) took effect on October 1,
2011, transferring substantial program and fiscal responsibilities
for our criminal justice system from state to county authorities.
Novella Coleman, a Criminal Justice and Drug Policy Fellow in the
ACLUNC office, has been tracking the realignment planning process in
Santa Clara County for the past several months. She is uniquely
qualified to brief us on progress to date and ways in which we can
advocate for effective evidence-based programs.

Wednesday, May 23
Reception: 6:45 pm
Program: 7:00 pm

Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto, 505 East Charleston Road

Directions: http://www.uucpa.org/main/location

This event is sponsored by Mid-Peninsula Chapter, ACLU