[GPSCC-chat] Prop 37: dog food v. steak ad

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 20:24:01 PDT 2012

Spencer and all,

With all due respect, I think that the movie balances out the misleading pro GMO and pro pesticide propaganda that is out there --- way out there it turns out after doing just a little research.

As an example of pesticide industry propaganda vs real science compare the following two articles.  The first one is from Quack Watch, the site that specializes in "exposing" natural healers and so on as frauds.  This site makes the claim that I have heard repeated on mainstream news that there is no significant nutritional difference between Organic and conventionally grown food.  It also advances a rather perposterous "quantized theory" of plant growth that says that plants will only grow under conditions where when they reach maturity they have identical nutritional content between Organic and conventional crops.
If there are nutritional deficiencies in the soil, the claim goes, the plants won't grow at all.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/organic.html

The second site summarizes results from a study of the mineral content of Organic vs conventional food done by the respected Rutgers University

http://www.organicnutrition.co.uk/whyorganic/whyorganic.htm

I would say that the Rutgers study backs up the claim made in the movie that GMO crops (and/or crops treated with pesticides) are mineral deficient.  Why the mainstream media continues to parrot the line that there is no significant difference in nutritional content between Organic and conventional food is a bit of a mystery to me. Thanks.

Sincerely,

John Thielking