[GPSCC-chat] Prop 37: dog food v. steak ad

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Sat Nov 3 10:31:30 PDT 2012

Hello, All:

       The "No on 37" campaign is saying in part, "Dog food with meat
requires a label, but meat for human consumption does not.  It makes no
sense."

       This is deliberately misleading.  A more understandable statement
is, "Dog food with meat (and GMO corn or soy) requires a label, but meat
for human (or animal) consumption does not." Now it makes sense.

       Monsanto and others are spending over $1 million per day
disseminating this kind of message, and Prop 37 (GMO labeling) may be
defeated.  You can help pass GMO labeling by tweeting or emailing
everyone you know in California with something like, "Confused by
anti-Prop 37 ad? Dog food with meat (and GMO corn or soy) requires a
label, but meat for human (or animal) consumption does not." (140
characters)

       This corrects a deliberate deception on "www.noprop37.com
<http://www.noprop37.com/>".  (For a copy of this page with annotations,
see
"https://files.pbworks.com/download/djdB7SF1ui/occupy/60654211/No37.pdf".)

       The movie "Genetic Roulette" was screened at the Peace Center
last night.  On balance, I felt the movie was gross propaganda but not
nearly as bad asthe "No on 37" campaign.  If the movie were true,
accurate, and balanced, I think that the opposition to GMO foods would
have been much greater much sooner, fewer GMO foods would actually be on
the market, and the law would require GMO labeling.

WIKIPEDIA AND SOCIAL CHANGE

       In the month between Thanksgiving and Christmas last year, the
Wikipedia article on SOPA got a million views:  Editing Wikipedia is
potentially one of the highest leverage activities anyone can engage in.

       I'd be happy to teach people how to edit Wikipedia -- both their
markup language and their rules for appropriate content and editing.
(I've made over 500 edits.)

       If people are interested, we can schedule a place to meet and get
to work.

       For example, there is a huge gap between the Movie "Genetic
Roulette" (http://geneticroulettemovie.com
<http://geneticroulettemovie.com/>;
http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-content/genetic-roulette
<http://academicsreview.org/reviewed-content/genetic-roulette/>) and the
information available on Wikipedia. Whether Prop 37 passes or fails on
Tuesday, the issue will still be active.  It would be good to check the
sources cited in the Genetic Roulette book, see if they say what the
book claims, find counter arguments, and describe both from a neutral
point of view in appropriate Wikipedia articles.  Doing that could have
a huge impact, I think.  However, I can't do it myself.

       Best Wishes,
       Spencer

--
Spencer Graves, PE, PhD