[GPSCC-chat] Educational Barometers

Brian Good snug.bug at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 10:09:39 PST 2012

A couple of years ago I heard someone from the Silicon Valley Education Foundation
say that success in 8th-grade Algebra what a strong predictor for who's going to
college and who's not--and about half of the kids were not succeeding in Algebra.

Yesterday I heard San Mateo County officials say that 3rd grade reading level is a
strong predictor for who's going to jail and who's not, and that 55% of San Mateo
County 3rd graders are not reading at their grade level.