[GPSCC-chat] Help me stop warrantless spying on our email

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 06:10:03 PST 2012

Subject: Help me stop warrantless spying on our email

 Dear Friend,

An assault on internet privacy may be headed towards passage in the Senate unless we can mobilize now.

A bill proposed by Senator Patrick Leahy will be coming up for a committee vote next week. Originally, the bill was crafted with the help of a coalition of Internet companies to strengthen and update a decades-old privacy law. But now, people who've been working with Sen. Leahy's office are saying a new version could allow over 20 different Federal agencies to spy on your email without a warrant.

When news broke about the bill, Senator Leahy was quick to denounce the new version and stated publicly that he doesn't support these loopholes that would allow the government to read our emails without a warrant, but we have to ensure that this last-minute push by anti-privacy forces doesn't gain any traction at all.

Tell the Senate Judiciary Committee: Vote NO on any bill before the Judiciary Committee that allows government agencies to read my email without a warrant.

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/leahy_warrantless_searches/?r_by=50854-4219976-Z0fsyVx&rc=paste1