[GPSCC-chat] San José Police?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Nov 26 18:47:25 PST 2012

Hello, All:

        LaDoris Cordell, retired judge and current Independent Police
Auditor for the City of San José spoke today at the monthly meeting of
the Coalition for Justice and Accountability, organized in part by
Richard Konda of the Asian Law Alliance (www.asianlawalliance.org;  for
some of their previous activities, see
"www.sjbeez.org/special/coalition-for-justice-and-accountability-forums").

        This presentation included a list of action items for everyone
concerned about the quality of policing in San José.  The following is
my summary:

              1.  The City is now working to recruit a replacement for
Police Chief Moore, retiring Jan. 30, 2013.  The City is holding public
hearings to receive "community input regarding the ideal qualities that
the City Manager should consider in evaluating candidates for this
position. Community input meetings have been scheduled at the following
locations from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m." Meetings are scheduled for Nov.
26, 28, and Dec. 3 and 10;  for locations check
"http://www.sanjoseca.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=142".

              2.  Judge Cordell is asking for public support to have all
police officers wear cameras the create a record of everything they do
on duty.  Chief Moore has found money for half of the $1.5 million this
would require, and he wants the City Council to provide the other half.
  District Attorney Rosen is preparing a protocol for how these records
would be handled.  I believe it would dramatically increase the rate of
convictions for crimes, especially those committed in the presence of an
officer, while dramatically reducing the complaints of officer
misconduct.  Judge Cordell said the older officers hate this idea, and
the younger officers love it.  An op ed piece she wrote on this appeared
in the Mercury News Dec. 20, 2011 but has since expired from their web
site.  (If you want a scanned image of that article, please let me
know.)  People in San José are encouraged to write their City Council
representative asking about this.  I just received a reply from
Pierluigi Oliverio saying, "Yes it is moving forward as we can afford to
buy them."  I would expect that more inquiries about this would likely
make it easier for them to find the money.

              3.  Judge Cordell said that anyone can issue a complaint
to the Independent Police Auditor.  She said her office had recently
received a complaint from someone in India who knows people here who had
knowledge of events about which there were questions of police
misconduct.  If you see a questionable incident regarding the police in
San José, you are encouraged to file a complaint with her office,
"www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?nid=200", ind_pol_aud at sanjoseca.gov, (408)
794-6226.

        Spencer

--