[GPSCC-chat] GP SCC position on Measure D

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Mon Oct 1 21:12:16 PDT 2012

On 10/1/2012 8:49 PM, Gerry Gras wrote:

> What's the threshold for the vote?  Do you need all 5 or is 4
> enough?

       Great question.  There may be official rules, but I don't know
them.  For the sake of expediency, I've felt that a majority of the
County Council supporting something with no known opposition should be
enough.  If there is opposition, then we should revert to the
traditional Green consensus rule.  Thus, 3 votes for and 2 abstentions
(or not yet replying) should be enough with something working against a
deadline.  With 4 votes for and 1 against, I would want the 4 to
reconsider, per the standard Green consensus rule.

       Beyond that, I exercise my vote with sensitivity to how the
membership in general is likely to react to a particular issue. This
issue was discussed first only among the County Council.  I forwarded it
to GPSCC <sosfbay-discuss at cagreens.org> precisely so we could get a
broader discussion of the issue:  I didn't want to make this decision in
secret.  If others feel the Santa Clara Greens should NOT endorse
Measure D, I want to hear their concerns before John has to print his
newsletter.  I'm willing to change my vote and state that we do not have
a consensus if we found substantive opposition within the Green Party
membership.  For Measure D, I do not anticipate such, which is part of
why I so easily endorsed it.

       Thanks for the question.  If you have more to add, please let me
know.

       Spencer