[GPSCC-chat] Why you should vote Yes on Prop 37

eden edenw at gal3.com
Thu Oct 11 18:38:54 PDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:30 PM, Spencer Graves
<spencer.graves at prodsyse.com> wrote:

>       3.  I have not worked much with YouTube.  However, from my limited
> experience, I've had lots of problems with YouTube videos in real time,
> especially for something like this.  If you are trying to download it and
> play it via wi fi in real time, I would NOT expect it to go smoothly.

   I agree.

>It
> would be best to download the video to a hard drive (or maybe a USB drive or
> CD) and play it from there.  With a typical DSL connection, it can easily
> take 3 hours to download the data for a 1.5 hour video, and if a user clicks
> the wrong thing, it can restart from the beginning.  If you've watched it,
> it probably is some place on your hard drive.  However, I have not done this
> myself, so I don't know the details of how to do it.  I just know that it
> should be feasible unless there is some special copyright protection in
> YouTube and the operating system to prevent that.

   I just attempted to download that YouTube using the DownloadHelper
plugin for Firefox and it started to download with no problem. That
usually implies that the file is free to download. (In other words, if
the person who posted it didn't want it to be downloaded for copyright
or other reasons, the file would not normally be downloadable with the
plugin.)

   Enjoy.

--
eden