[GPSCC-chat] Fw: Work opportunity

John Thielking pagesincolor at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 6 14:45:16 PDT 2012

--- On Thu, 9/6/12, John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: John Thielking <pagesincolor at yahoo.com>
Subject: Work opportunity
To: dbwall at earthlink.net, mkmusic03 at aol.com, freepalestin at dslextreme.com
Date: Thursday, September 6, 2012, 9:34 AM

Hello,

I am formulating plans to sell 2 versions of my Peacemovies.com booklet door to door in San Jose. I would be selling Peacemovies.com 2011 and Peacemovies.com 2012 for $7 each, no tax charged on top of the $7.  According to my online poll on my web site 50% more people (both percentage wise and absolute numbers) would be willing to pay $7 instead of $5 for my booklets.  So that is why I have bumped the price up to $7.  This phenomenon of people willing to pay more was first mentioned to me by an "Internet guru" (snake oil salesman) who claimed that having a price that ends in 7 gets more people to buy.  I guess that is one factoid from those people that is actually true.

I e-mailed my San Jose city council member and they wrote back that there is no permit or process for a permit required to sell door to door in San Jose.  There is a police permit required to sell from a table on a street corner however.  If you do decide to work for me, keep in mind that neighboring areas (such as Santa Clara) may require a permit and even a police issued ID badge at a cost of a few hundred dollars to sell door to door. So please stay within San Jose city limits.

The temp agency I used for payroll for my store back in 2006 (Josephine's) confirmed that they would be willing to take me on again as a client, having employees go door to door relatively unsupervised.

I would pay the employees as follows: The minimum quota required to be sold per hour to stay indefinitely with the company is 3 booklets per hour. Depending on the size of the booklet, I would just barely break even on gross expenses (cost of production plus payroll, not including office rent) at this level. There should be no problem getting 1.5 customers per hour to buy 2 booklets each. (50% of respondents on my web site said they would buy a booklet for $7, as opposed to only 35% for $5.) The base rate is $10 per hour, plus $2 per booklet for every booklet sold at a rate of more than 3 booklets per hour for the entire shift.

I am going with a temp agency so that payroll, workman's comp insurance and their rinky dink health plan are all covered by the temp agency.  Having you come on board as a regular employee would be way too expensive as I would have to buy a year's worth of workman's comp insurance in advance, which would totally bust my budget.  I'm also not going to offer an independent contractor position as I don't plan on getting liability insurance for my operation and because of the fact that independent contractors can't get unemployment or workman's comp if anything bad should happen to them or to the company.

Please let me know your level of interest in this project.  I may be ready to start going door to door sometime between January 2013 and May 2013, depending on how fast I finish compiling the two booklets and how fast I'm able to save up an initial amount to cover the first few weeks of payroll. I also have to rent an office, or at least have a space that has a conference room and a mail drop available, as I can't legally operate my business with employees out of my home.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

John Thielking
408-914-2751