[GPSCC-chat] CURBing jails - Tuesday

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 8 16:05:05 PDT 2012

FYI,

There will be a meeting of the San Mateo County
Board of Supervisors at the Redwood City Courthouse
on Tuesday, 9/11 at 9AM to discuss whether or not to
build a new jail at a cost of $160,000,000 up front
plus $40,000,000 / year.

Some activists are opposing the new jail:
http://curbprisonspending.org/?p=1868 .
Orgs opposed to the jail include Occupy Redwood City,
ACLU, AFSC, IVAW, NLG, Occupy San Jose, and many others.

I'm no expert on this subject, but I do think that
we have too many people in prison, and think that
a new jail is probably not a good idea.

Gerry