[GPSCC-chat] web site hit count

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.sj.ca.us
Thu Sep 27 19:41:06 PDT 2012

The right way to look at your hit count is to analyze the nightly web
server logs,
not by counting them at page load time the way we do.
That way you count the hits that don't actually fetch a new copy, but
only check whether their local copy is stale.  Server logs from a busy
site will mostly show those checks, because large ISPs like AOL and
Earthlink run a cache between your server and their customers.
I suspect we're not counting those right now.

Log analysis also lets you ignore hits by web crawlers from search
engines and spammers.
If you look at our logs, you'll see most of the traffic is search engine
crawlers.
There are still at least a dozen search engines besides Bing and Google.
There are also crawlers that are just gathering statistics for academic
research.