[GPSCC-chat] Violence and Rape ... In California

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 13 15:31:45 PDT 2013

alexcathy at aol.com wrote:

>     /"We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to
>     a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit
>     motives and property rights are considered more important than
>     people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism
>     are incapable of being conquered." -- Martin Luther King /

Sounds right to me.  Might even be an understatement.

> Dear Old Santa Clara Green Friends,
>
> Saratoga is a very affluent upscale suburb in California's so-called
> Silicon Valley. Just goes to show the sick cult of mindless violence and
> rape is not just "over there" in India, Palestine, or Africa and not
> just the "inner city" of "those people."
>
> Needless to say, these monstrous goings-on in the context of "Silicon
> Valley" are a violation of just about all of our 10 Key values, even
> though, for reasons I do not understand, these kinds of stories never
> see to move what 'ole Alex Cockburn used to call the "pwogwessive"
> activist class. Well, I have 4 grandchildren growing up in California --
> 2 down here in L.A. and 2 up in Silicon Valley. At this stage of my
> life, I am not ashamed to say that making a better community for them
> *IS* my first priority.//

Ok.

I have not seen a response to your email yet.  Did you want one?
The sentence with "pwogwessive" in it seems to hint at wanting a
request.

I don't really know what to say.  I was a little bothered by the
story, but not a lot because, though it was an awful crime, it is
not so extreme in our society, unfortunately.  (I read about it
yesterday in the SJMN at the library yesterday.)

I hope I am wrong, but I suspect that many of us on this list
are suffering from "Activist Fatigue".  I don't know what to
do about that.  Maybe some kind of mutual support would help,
but IMHO the GP has not been good about that.

Anyways, I agree that what happened in Saratoga was terrible,
and I don't understand the boys who did it.  And I especially
don't understand them photographing it because it indicates
a cluelessness on their part.  And I think something should
be done about it.  And other kinds of violence too.

Got some suggestions?

Gerry