[GPSCC-chat] Locals [was agenda items for april meeting;]

Drew rainbeaufriend at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 20:27:28 PDT 2013

The way I look at it, everyone has their bailiwick and since I perceive Warner's and others to be that of getting the county party functioning, I do not wish to dissuade anyone from working with their strong suite.

And rather than restate my whole long earlier post about why I think our centrally organized county violates several of our ten key including Decentralization, Future Focus/Sustainability, Respect for Diversity and Grassroots Democracy... not to mention that school and other board, city state assembly, senate and even congressional campaigns can not be effectively organized by a an organization with a county-wide span of control as is testified to by our inability to do so in all these years (note that the Dems don't even try to do that despite all the resources they have to draw upon!!!)... I'll just say that I'm going to be putting my main energy into Locals and clubs (specifically spinning up the De Anza College Green Party Club and the county web site), rather than other worthy projects at the county level.  Other people can do whatever they feel called to do and if others are called to work with me on Locals and Clubs I'll welcome it, but if not it
 won't deter me and I'll cheer on whatever the group decides it should do. I think people picking their focus based on their own calling is as it should be.

In time I also will look to share what I've been picking up about community organizing as I've been taking the Leadership in Social Change and Camp Wellstone community organizing classes at De Anza College this year.  That will have to wait till some time later for me.  Sandy has partaken of some of these experiences as well (not to mention all the years of organizing he has under his belt), so he may be able to share these things more rapidly and effectively than I can for now.

Green is GO!

Drew

~*~*~*~
Jill Stein for President -- A Green New Deal for America
Campaign website:  http://www.jillstein.org/
Climate Voter Power Pledge: http://www.jillstein.org/dc_climate_protests
     First TV Ad http://tinyurl.com/JillStein1stAd

>________________________________

the GPSCC had locals, but after the initial excitement of the initial petition
drive, participation shrunk so that locals could not be sustained.  When I
joined the GPSCC in Fall 1994, meetings were hardly attended (3-4 people; you
know who you were).  If find the suggestion to organize locals lacking a
realistic assessment of where the GPSCC is organizationally.  Beyond that
(as agenda preparer for the April meeting) I find the lack of a clear and
detailed proposal an indication of our collective amateurism and a symptom of
the limitations of our all-volunteer mode of operation.  Additionally, I
find the idea of "cultivating" from other organizations something that those
groups probablyu would not want doen to them and that we wouild not want done to
us.  Warner

j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net writes:
>Following  Drew's suggestions, let's make these two  items
>>agenda items for April
>>
>>1) institute Locals
>>
>>2)
     the following can be used as  a part of forming
  locals
>>        or it can be locations where the Greens
  make themselves noticeable
>>        and they also seem
  to fit Sandy's notion of going where the need is
>>    again, Drew
  is the source:

>>    tenant associations, block clubs,
  food-buying clubs,