[GPSCC-chat] DA GREEN PARTY CLUB - A2K IS A HUMAN RIGHT - FORUM AT 1:30 PM WED MAY 1

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Apr 26 04:31:05 PDT 2013

       I wish to share a perspective on this as the author of 2 books,
30 published technical papers, 3 patents and software used all over the
world:

             1.  The copyright clause in the US constitution says, that
"To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for
limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their
respective Writings and Discoveries."  Virtually all the changes in
copyright law over the past 40 years have violated this purpose,
extending the copyright period from a max of 28 years to 99 and
essentially infinite, and broadening the range of application to
"derivative works" with such vague language as to give the major media
conglomerates legal grounds for SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit against Public
Participation) suits against potential competitors.  My primary
reference on copyright law is the Wikipedia article on "Free Culture
(book)".  The industry successfully sued lawyers who represented MP3 and
venture capitalists supporting Napster on questionable grounds with the
sole purpose reducing competition to the major media conglomerates.  The
industry won, because the lawyers and venture capitalists knew that they
could not afford the legal fees to fight the cases because the copyright
laws were too vague;  they settled out of court.  This and other actions
have a chilling effect on creativity.  Lessig in "Free Culture" claims
the first commercially successful Mickey Mouse cartoon movie, "Steamboat
Willie", might not have been produced under current copyright law,
because that cartoon might have been considered a "derivative work" of a
Buster Keaton film, "Steamboat Bill, Jr.", produced earlier that year.
The most dynamic comics industry in the world is in Japan, because the
Japanese simply refuse to use the existing copyright law (written to
comply with international norms established essentially be US law).

             2.  Virtually 100% of the application of current US
copyright law to technical articles violates the provisions of the US
constitution "to promote the progress of science and useful arts".  I'm
an author on 30 published technical papers.  I was required to transfer
the copyright to the publisher for the vast majority of those in
exchange only for the privilege of seeing the work published.  That made
sense prior to the Internet.  It no longer makes sense, even for
archives of journals published prior to the Internet.  These could be
digitized at a relatively low one-time cost and made available to the
world for free.  They aren't, because US copyright law is outdated and
maintained by the legalized bribery of our current system of private
financing political campaigns in the US.

             3.  I've received small royalty payments for one of the 2
books.  The royalty is nice, but it's so small, it was NOT even
considered in my decision on whether to write that book.  The only
reason I agreed to have the book published by Springer was because they
have established distribution processes.  I would have preferred web
publishing, but my lead co-author had a relationship with Springer, so I
didn't fight that.  However, again, the my motivation in producing that
work was unrelated to what the publishers tell congress about that, and
the copyright violates the constitutional purpose of copyright law.

             4.  Popular textbooks may be different:  I don't know for
sure, but I believe that the royalties from popular textbooks for
established technical authors can be substantial and can encourage the
production of such textbooks.  However, Wikiversity provides a platform
for collaborative production of training materials under the Creative
Commons attribution share-alike license.  Wikimedia projects include a
feature to "Create a book":  Any prof can create the book they want from
established content in Wikimedia projects tailored to what they think
should be taught.  Profs all over the world collaborate to create that
content.  This is a mechanism for providing access to the best available
knowledge selected by local profs that does not rely on established book
publishers, which justify huge royalties based on the relatively low
production volumes.  Once again, we don't need to pay individual authors
to write popular textbooks:  We can get better textbooks from committees
of profs teaching similar material all over the world, kept as current
as profs can keep themselves current.  And again, the constitutional
purpose for copyright law is violated but too a lesser extent than for
published technical papers and research monographs.

       Thanks for organizing this event.  Feel free to quote me if you
think it could be useful.

       Spencer

On 4/25/2013 10:51 PM, perrysandy at aol.com wrote:
> *frE uR tXbk$!*
> *A2K: **Access**to Knowledge***
> "Information is power. But like all power, there are those who want to
> keep it for themselves. The world's cultural heritage ... locked up by
> a handful of private corporations ... The *Open Access Movement *has
> fought valiantly to allow anyone to access it."
> -- *Aaron Swartz 1986 -- 2013, A2K hero & martyr.*
> *May Day A2K!*
> *A2K = a human right*
> On May Day the traditional celebration day for liberation join *DR.
> CRYSTALLEE CRAIN*, and DA Student Trustee *VINCE MENDOZA, *to learn
> about De Anza Student Advocacy Group's work on
> *OER (Open Educational Resources)*
> *TIME: Wed. May 1 from 1:30 -- 3:30 pm*
> *PLACE: Student Center Conference Room A*
> Sponsors:*DA GREEN PARTY CLUB***
> Institute of Community and Civic Engagement
> Office of Equity, Social Justice and Multicultural Education

Spencer Graves, PE, PhD
President and Chief Technology Officer
751 Emerson Ct.
San José, CA 95126